slow digestion

S

serenity648

Do some people digest food more slowly than others, leading to them not getting back to normal bs levels until more than 2 hours after eating?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
As we are all different then I would be surprised if everyone digested the exact same meal at the same rate.

A freind of mine had an appointment for an endoscopy but was sent home because there was still remnants of food in her stomach after the fasting period. I had the same procedure and had no problem at all.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am also a very slow eater.
@serenity648
In my reading I discovered that slow eating is better for you than being a ..... guzzler. Apparently it gives the stomach time to produce the hormones that tell you when you are full.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I read recently on here that some type1s have no Amylin as well as no insulin and Amylin loss can cause fast digestion.

I suggested maybe type2s have too much Amylin as of insulin?
Hence slow digestion.

I know a nerve damaged by excess sugar/glucose in the system can cause slow digestion (gasparaitis).

Eating small portions over time can slow digestion, so I've been told. (Bariatric info). Many patients are encouraged to eat 6-8times a day (none diabetic told me).

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ha! @ickihun thats me. Very small but often. Otherwise I get bloated and moody.
I always say I need to top off the tank rather than empty and fill.
Do some people digest food more slowly than others, leading to them not getting back to normal bs levels until more than 2 hours after eating?
I also have no idea how you can eat green beans and cabbage and digest well. My stomach can't handle more than the size of my fist for meals and veggies mas me up. If my tummy isn't happy I don't sleep!!

S

serenity648

Ha! @ickihun thats me. Very small but often. Otherwise I get bloated and moody.
I always say I need to top off the tank rather than empty and fill.

I also have no idea how you can eat green beans and cabbage and digest well. My stomach can't handle more than the size of my fist for meals and veggies mas me up. If my tummy isn't happy I don't sleep!!
I have no problem digesting all veg and salad. In fact, my digestion is excellent.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
The gut processes sugar not intestines. Hormones in the gut breakdown sugar and carbs first. Intestine processes vitamins and minerals.
Fat is more likely the cause of slower digestion. That's proven to slower a spike or process sugars and others slower.
Fatty carb foods can spike me hours later and hang on for hours!

S

serenity648

The gut processes sugar not intestines. Hormones in the gut breakdown sugar and carbs first. Intestine processes vitamins and minerals.
Fat is more likely the cause of slower digestion. That's proven to slower a spike or process sugars and others slower.
Fatty carb foods can spike me hours later and hang on for hours!
thank you. When I had my appendix out, and had peritonitis, I lost part of my bowel (dont know which bit) I wonder if that makes a difference?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you. When I had my appendix out, and had peritonitis, I lost part of my bowel (dont know which bit) I wonder if that makes a difference?

When we eat, food sits in the stomach for a while, then moves first through the small intestine, then the large intestine (the colon), then out through the rectum.

Broadly speaking, the stomach digests using acids (but it doesn't absorb), then the acid is neutralised as it leaves the stomach. Nutrient absorption then happens in the small intestine, undigestible fibre and the water then move on to the large intestine, where water and electrolytes are absorbed. The appendix lives where the small intestine turns into the large intestine/bowel.

Sorry for the mini lecture ;) but it was just my way of saying that if you are missing some bowel then it probably won't be affecting nutrient absorption, because that happens higher up.

I will see if I can find a pic to illustrate...

Here you go:
anatomical-position-labled-img-img-9781587790065-digestive-system.jpg

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I understand the appendix becomes inflammed and it's the inflammation that changes the systems dynamics. Do you still suffer with inflammation of your digestive system? I have GERD which caused chest pains for nearly a year until it was diagnosed and treated.
If you have concerns about your digestive system causing ill health you should seek medical help hun.
Can you suffer metformin with your delicate system? I found it a huge help, but we are all different.
I wish I knew more to be able to set your mind at ease @serenity648 . I've always suspected a slower system to my age mates thats for sure.
I'll ask my consultant on tuesday and let you know what he says about my missing appendix and it's influence on bgs hun.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After my encounter with Metformin I think my digestive system as a whole was sore and exhausted and unable to do anything briskly - it took several months to stop feeling like a bright pink balloon from last week's party.

Reactions: barriebanana