Slow release metformin dose

Juliemeikle

I am fairly new to all this as diagnosed in early September following Hb1ac result (64). Initially I was put on 500mg increasing to 1500mg within a few weeks. I could not tolerate it so have been given 1000mg slow release. This seems fine, but is this enough?

I test (not as regularly or in as controlled a way as I should and it does not vary much) and my levels are usually about 7 - 8 2 hours after eating. Rarely goes over 9.7 an hour after food. Never below 5.8 at any time.

I am being more careful about carbs, but not following a very low carb diet. I stick to less than 100g a day including drinks etc.

So should I be concerned that the metformin is a lower dose than originally planned?
Thanks.....I am new to this!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends on what your BG levels aims are really - Metformin doesn't stop your BG level rising if you eat more carbs than you can cope with. To get normal number my upper limit was 50 gm of carbs per day, and I tested after meals to be sure I did not exceed 8 mmol/l - the actual number gradually fell as I got better. It is more usual to test two hours after starting to eat, - it is just what people tend to do to make things standardized.
Low levels shouldn't be a problem, as Metformin isn't that sort of a treatment.