Slow release?

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi. I have tried to upload pic but it’s says too large. Are these tablets slow release metformin.

It says Metformin SR
Prolonged Release.
Thank you. Still making me ill. :spitoutdummy:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I have tried to upload pic but it’s says too large. Are these tablets slow release metformin.

It says Metformin SR
Prolonged Release.
If it says SR, it is indeed slow.

Keep in mind that if something makes you this ill, it'll trigger liver dumps. So if you're waiting for your blood sugars to come down to stop the metformin... It might actually be part of why they may be up a bit. Give yourself a break, cut carbs, cut met, and let your stomach settle. Then see whether that makes a difference.

High-ish blood sugars won't harm you overnight, if you're not well into double digits. You have time to experiment.

Edited to add: I know, not supposed to give medical advice. But puking your guts up can't be good for anyone.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
If it says SR, it is indeed slow.

Keep in mind that if something makes you this ill, it'll trigger liver dumps. So if you're waiting for your blood sugars to come down to stop the metformin... It might actually be part of why they may be up a bit. Give yourself a break, cut carbs, cut met, and let your stomach settle. Then see whether that makes a difference.

High-ish blood sugars won't harm you overnight, if you're not well into double digits. You have time to experiment.

Edited to add: I know, not supposed to give medical advice. But puking your guts up can't be good for anyone.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Thank you. One min I think the anti sickness pill is working the nxt I throw up. Just lucky today is my day off. The nurse said today to cut to one tablet of met instead of 2. She says they protect your heart so that kinda worried me as I was gonna just stop them. Thank you for your help on this awful sickness journey. X.
PS she too said, as all of you have, why give you another tablet when one tablet is making you sick. X.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It says Metformin SR
Prolonged Release.
Prolonged is slow, as in the AZ / Pfizer vax queues were prolonged because of the slow supply chain.

When I was taking Metformin they were labelled XR for extended release.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Prolonged is slow, as in the AZ / Pfizer vax queues were prolonged because of the slow supply chain.

When I was taking Metformin they were labelled XR for extended release.
Thank you. They should b labelled FS. I’ll let you fill in the first then the second sickness. Lol. X

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. One min I think the anti sickness pill is working the nxt I throw up. Just lucky today is my day off. The nurse said today to cut to one tablet of met instead of 2. She says they protect your heart so that kinda worried me as I was gonna just stop them. Thank you for your help on this awful sickness journey. X.
PS she too said, as all of you have, why give you another tablet when one tablet is making you sick. X.
Metformin does have its uses. If you can take it without side effects, it also, as a bit of a side effect, protects your heart. happy accident, that. Thing is... Your heart is better protected by proper blood sugar control, which is easier if you don't feel sick all the time. I knew people on metformin, who entirely relied on it, and both died of diabetes-related heart failure. Metformin can only do so much, after all. Mainly it happened because they just kept eating absolutely massive loads of carbs a day and their blood sugars were never, ever properly controlled. They put all their faith in a pill that only suppressed appetite some and kept their livers from dumping too much glucose. The chocolate bars, daily pastries, porridge and whatnot, the met wasn't going to do anything against. It couldn't, and it wans't designed to. And so, that diet finished them off.

Metformin put me in hell for a few weeks, which is why I started looking for an alternative and found low carb eating. So I do feel your pain. If the side effects don't abate after a week or two, they're not going to, and you know what? Like just about everyone else I've been hammering on low carb eating, which in my opinion, still would be the way to go.... But if that's not workable for you for whatever reason, there are other meds out there other than metformin. It's just the first port of call for a doc, and honestly, most GP's have NO CLUE about diabetes... I know mine doesn't, as she admitted as much, but she's deferring to me these days, haha. (If you feel like you need more help, you could ask for a referral to an endo.) It's a learning curve, and it took me a while too... So find out what you can safely eat, (like eggs with bacon and cheese, cauliflower rice instead of actual rice/spuds, more meat on your plate, fish, poultry... Start your day with 4 scramble eggs with cheese, and be amazed at what your blood glucose does!), give yourself a break, and don't let other people scare you into doing or taking things you don't feel right with. If you get a lot of contradictory information, there's a few things you can do: Trust your meter. It'll tell you whether the advice you're being given is actually working for you. And go with your gut, literally. If it's making you puke your insides out, it's probably not good for you. Some things, like keto-flu, are basically your body getting rewired to use something other than carbs for energy. That's something that passes. If being miserable doesn't pass, it's time to look for other methods, be it diet or different meds or whatever.

Like I said before, I've been a T2 for 5 years now. Well, longer, but that's when I was diagnosed, after walking around with high blood sugars for a couple of years. There is such a thing as someone's diaversary: The day you were diagnosed. I celebrate mine, usually with a steak or mixed grill in a nice restaurant. Why celebrate a diagnosis? When I got mine, I was barely alive. I existed, but it was a miserable existence. Chronic fatigue, pain from my non alcoholic fatty liver, infected, puss-dripping toes that never healed, never-ending migraines, moodswings and severe depression. Not to mention a muscleweakness so severe my legs would buckle out of nowhere. There was no point in my being here, I was so intensely miserable all the time. When I was diagnosed, I found out why my liver was so messed up, why wounds never healed, what the heck was going on with the constant thrush and me living in the toilet... And I could finally, finally do something about it all. I was as wide as I was tall, with the low fat, high carb diet the hospital'd put me on. When I turned that on its head, and went low carb high fat, I got my life back. This past weekend my husband and I took long walks in two Dutch cities, and I carried around more camera gear than most professional photographers would. (Two Olympus, 4 lenses and what have you. Backbreaking stuff.). Compare that to 5 years ago when I couldn't lift a fork, and my husband had to cut my food.

What I'm saying is this: You're supposed to get to feeling better now that you're diagnosed, not worse. Your life deserves improving.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As always, such an inspiring post @JoKalsbeek. Thank you for all the help you give to everyone, and well done for changing your health so dramatically. You're an inspiration to us all. :)

mummymerle

It says Metformin SR
Prolonged Release.
I have to take the SR metformin as I cannot take the normal metformin it makes me throw up. I even thought I was pregnant at one stage till they changed it.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I have to take the SR metformin as I cannot take the normal metformin it makes me throw up. I even thought I was pregnant at one stage till they changed it.
Thank you. I’m better. I think. So as I say that I throw up again. I take one now with main meal (nurse told me to cut it till next A1c) I had a 10 2 hrs after dinner ; I did my step aerobics (v slowly I am old lol) and within 15 mins I was in the 7’s!!! X