Slow releasing Carb meals

steveo4

I'm having a break from using my insulin pump after having a few issues. I'm going back to mdi for a few weeks and see how things go. If I have a pizza or pasta for evening meal how do I take an injection to cover the carbs. Do I take half the amount straight away then the rest in a couple of hours or do I just take it all at once?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @steveo4

I have to be careful what I say here because forum rules mean we can't give specific dosing advice, but pizza is a thorny subject that comes up a lot. Some people seem to manage just fine, others split their dose, others give up on it. (Personally I eat it, but only in very small doses)

Here's an interesting article which discusses how one person manages their timing

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
perhaps take your lead from what you did when on pump --- so if you needed to split a dose on the pump the same rules should apply

Mathewted

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
While the above are really great answers to your question I find that we humans want more than we need; it's understandable of course but would love to hear your thoughts on another view

What if we dose for carb filled meals that are not high fat or, when eating fat do not indulge in carbs at the same time?

It would, of course, mean steering clear of grain heavy lasagne or pizza but then they are not part of a human dier so are going to be suboptimal for everybody - diabetes or no diabetes.

Maybe you feel it's a moot point as it doesn't answer your question specifically and that's fine, just let me know.

ATB