Small desserts?

Olive_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are now one week and a bit into lowering the levels of sugar in our diet. Not a cookie nor a cake has passed my lips since. The problem is my wife is desperate for some cake and I would love to have some too. Our problem is that we know that if we bake a dessert we will eat the entire thing.

Does anyone have a good recipe that makes a small quantity? Maybe a mug cake or something similar? We would be so appreciative!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are now one week and a bit into lowering the levels of sugar in our diet. Not a cookie nor a cake has passed my lips since. The problem is my wife is desperate for some cake and I would love to have some too. Our problem is that we know that if we bake a dessert we will eat the entire thing.

Does anyone have a good recipe that makes a small quantity? Maybe a mug cake or something similar? We would be so appreciative!

Have a look on the following link, for a few options: https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/?s=mug+cake

If you just google "low carb....." (whatever you're looking for), it's astonishing what comes up.

Decent sites are:
ditchthecarbs
lowcarbyou
alldayidreamaboutfood
lowcarbmaven

They'll all have options for what you're looking for.

Reactions: Juli

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cakes the only way is by using sweetners, which I am personally very against.
The 2 things that help my sweet tooth are:
the single square of very dark chocolate. I started at 70% then progressed to 85% and have tried 95% which is my current limit. One square is more than enough
A second option is a tablespoon or 2 of milled chia seeds sprinkled into coconut milk or fullfat plain yoghurt or, best of all , double cream. Leave if for a couple of hours and it will thicken like mousse. I add a few raspberries or some chopped nuts

As you are only a week in, I'd suggest trying to ride these early cravings out if you are really trying to cut sugar

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cake freezes well, even when liberally iced with buttercream, why not make one anyway and freeze all but a couple of slices as soon as it is cool? If you wrap them well you can freeze individual slices and just take them out 2 at a time and this should slow you and the missus down! It works for me.... :cat:

Olive_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cake freezes well, even when liberally iced with buttercream, why not make one anyway and freeze all but a couple of slices as soon as it is cool? If you wrap them well you can freeze individual slices and just take them out 2 at a time and this should slow you and the missus down! It works for me.... :cat:

I was quite excited by this suggestion but the wife said 'Yeah. I'd get it out the freezer.' At least she knows herself!

Also I love the idea of a website called All day I dream about food. Kind of sounds like how I'm feeling at the moment!

We've found a recipe for chia seed pudding so we'll try that and I've just loaded my grocery cart with the ingredients I need for a mug cake so thanks all!

caius2x8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well i've been trying the same to lose, not altogether successfully.

The approaches i try are

1) no/ v ltd processed food
Ii).no carbs - diffucult, as carbs are an quick and easy filler. But you can swap for eggs, slices of cooked meat, smalls out of prepared salads
Iii) go biig on on greenery and unsauced veg and salads
Iv) split a dessert.

Heres a recipe you scale according to much you want:

Gel set chese cake

30ml lukewarm water
1 level teaspoon gelatin

240g cream cheese, at room temperature( vital its at RT)

115g sour cream, at room temperature (same must be at RT)

Let sour cream and cream cheese (both full fat) for 1 hr outside the fridge.

58g sugar
Pinch salt
1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Put gelatine in warm water in a bowl, leave 5 mins to swell, then in water bath( inverted saucer in saucepan) bowl on top, boiling water half way up, simmer 5 mins, lid on. ( or m'wave bowl 1 min) Turn off heat. leave to cool.

Whisk room temp dairy prods til fluffy. Add gelativne and other ingreds, mix. Pour in a small mould eg a mug. Refrigerate 2 hrs.

Topping
100g fresh or defrosted berries
2 tablespoons lukewarm water
2 tablespoons honey/ sugar

Heat and sugar gently with fruit in a bowl microwave 1 min, 3 mins saucepan. Let cool pour on top of set cheesecake.

I dont have it too often and split it with my non diabetic brother :).

Good luck :)

Em16

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

You will need a food blender......

1 medium sized banana plus 1- 2 strawberries (weigh total fruit)
equivalent weight (or just a little less) of home made nut butter (use mix of almonds, brazils, walnuts, pecans - blitz in blender till sticky)
1/3 teaspoon of baking powder
1 tablespoon of cocoa
extra handful of chopped almonds
1 square of 85 - 90 pc dark chocolate

Blitz nuts first then blend everything together. Put in a lined loaf tin (about an inch thick - don't worry if it doesn't completely cover base...it won't matter. Bake at 160 for about 10 - 14 mins. Take out of oven whilst it seems 'not done' by normal brownie standards. Makes about 6 servings (each of these if fairly small...but really filling and delicious). Allows me to have some banana which I love and might otherwise struggle with carb wise.

Hope you make and like...I'm addicted to it :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nuts, butter, cream, eggs - and even high % cocoa dark chocolate - are all good low carb foods. so you can use these to bake cakes/muffins, etc and create suitable desserts.

So bake to your hearts content by swapping to nut based "flour" - e,g, ground almonds, hazelnut or pecan meal, coconut flour, and use erythrtol/stevia (both of which are "natural" rather than artificial sweeteners and recommended for diabetic use). Cutting out the high carb wheat flour and using real butter not marge or reduced fat stuff means you'll rely less on quick energy from the carbs, and hopefully stay full/satisfied longer. so unless your wife is a real little piggy :hungry::hungry:, then small portions should work well, and you can feel virtuous eating good healthy low(er) carb "treats".

For some of my muffin variations on a theme try:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-recipes.4871/page-48#post-987609