Small Wins Add Up

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the first week of March this year I was struck by a hyperglycemic event, it was my first and it frightened the life out of me. I live alone and managed to get to my doctor who immediately took my bloods, diagnosed me as diabetic and sent me to hospital.

That began a journey, but the real beginning started right here on this site which I discovered within minutes of returning home. I began reading the stories and it changed everything.

I threw out everything in my cupboards and went shopping, having decided to 'do the LCHF' routine. You can see from the pic below how fast I turned my blood sugars around, but, I'm no expert and I still stumble and fumble in the dark. The others here kept me going, gave me hope and a helping hand.

Three months on and my HbA1C is 40, I'm kind of proud of that and it was worth the effort.

So, if you're new to all this, if it's still a scary prospect then I hope my little tale can help.

My small wins are all those end of day averages, I haven't really lost much weight (7Kg), nor am I more attractive or intelligent and I'm sure my breath would down a rhino when I'm ketosing but 'hey ho'... swings and things :happy:

upload_2018-6-15_18-39-29.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Terrytiddy

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@HarrisonK amazing progress in three months You’ve done so well. Please accept a congratulatory hug and pat on the back from me. It’s so inspirational when people share stories and I think they are particularly helpful to people who are still in the shocked just diagnosed stages who are thinking that things will only get worse and certainly not better yet we are all evidence that this condition can be managed and our health and well being improved. Stories like yours are lights in the dark.
Well done and thank you for sharing.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In the first week of March this year I was struck by a hyperglycemic event, it was my first and it frightened the life out of me. I live alone and managed to get to my doctor who immediately took my bloods, diagnosed my as diabetic and sent me to hospital.

That began a journey, but the real beginning started right here on this site which I discovered within minutes of returning home. I began reading the stories and it changed everything.

I threw out everything in my cupboards and went shopping, having decided to 'do the LCHF' routine. You can see from the pic below how fast I turned my blood sugars around, but, I'm no expert and I still stumble and fumble in the dark. The others here kept me going, gave me hope and a helping hand.

Three months on and my HbA1C is 40, I'm kind of proud of that and it was worth the effort.

So, if you're new to all this, if it's still a scary prospect then I hope my little tale can help.

My small wins are all those end of day averages, I haven't really lost much weight (7Kg), nor am I more attractive or intelligent and I'm sure my breath would down a rhino when I'm ketosing but 'hey ho'... swings and things :happy:

View attachment 27123
Fantastic achievement, I think I remember the day you joined the forum but our paths haven’t crossed much since so it’s great to see how far you have come. I also posted my story today, a lot more long winded than yours, but hey, I’m a girl who spends a lot of her day having to talk a lot, well that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.
This new way of eating and taking care of ourselves rewards us greatly, it’s a shame we had to discover it the hard way but there is no way I would want to go back to my old ways now.
Our small wins will hopefully encourage and motivate others to take heart, be brave and embrace LC ways, well done for sharing and keep winning

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fantastic achievement, I think I remember the day you joined the forum but our paths haven’t crossed much since so it’s great to see how far you have come. I also posted my story today, a lot more long winded than yours, but hey, I’m a girl who spends a lot of her day having to talk a lot, well that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.
This new way of eating and taking care of ourselves rewards us greatly, it’s a shame we had to discover it the hard way but there is no way I would want to go back to my old ways now.
Our small wins will hopefully encourage and motivate others to take heart, be brave and embrace LC ways, well done for sharing and keep winning

I'm known for being a man of few words, so I'm always grateful to the more loquacious amongst us. My excuse is that being an Aspie puts me in the fringes of sociability ;)

Your success is awesome, I wish I could lose the weight so you have now inspired my next phase. Well done, and as you've said, let's hope we help those just beginning the journey :happy:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm known for being a man of few words, so I'm always grateful to the more loquacious amongst us. My excuse is that being an Aspie puts me in the fringes of sociability ;)

Your success is awesome, I wish I could lose the weight so you have now inspired my next phase. Well done, and as you've said, let's hope we help those just beginning the journey :happy:
Thank you for your kind words. My weight loss has happened mainly as a result of the LC eating, I don’t necessarily count calories although the app I use does count them along with the carbs, fat, protein etc
It can be very sporadic too, I seem to loose a bit, then plateau, sometimes a little bit seems to go back followed by another drop but i still find that body shape is changing and getting smaller even if the scales don’t agree.
I started this week at the same weight as last, then I went up 2lb, this morning I’ve lost 3lb, however all clothes have felt looser this week so as I say scales tell only part of the story.
Good luck with the next steps of your journey, keep in touch and let’s hope we continue to inspire others.

Reactions: Prem51