Smaller lucozade bottles "petition"

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Yes seen these small bottles in Boots....have to say carrying a bottle of Lucazade can be a pain as they are too big for my pocket so bought a bum bag to carry it in :bigtears:

Reactions: 3 people

iHs

If GSK were to produce 100ml bottles of Lucozade Energy, the cost to consumer would be expensive so only a very small minority would justify the expense. For one thing an enginnering tool would need to be manufactured (not cheap) if one is not already made and from there a mould has to be made for the plastic to make the bottle (not cheap). From there .....the factories using the moulds would need to transform all the machinery and conveyor systems to accept the new size bottle...

Just how much would people be prepared to pay to justify the cost?

Lucozade is already expensive as it is. I no longer use it and found that full sugar ginger beer had a tiny bit more glucose in it than Lucozade and was half the price. Most of the time when out and about I now use jellybabies which I keep in a small plastic fishing float container with a hinge lid. I dont like jellybabies that much that I would want to over indulge so just eat 2 or 3 to deal with the 'low; bg feeling. Since having a pump, Ive needed to practice mind over matter lol

H

Hooked

It would be good to have the option for those of us that would use lucozade for hypos.
If you don't ask, you don't get. What's the harm in showing them how many people would be interested in using these? :)

Reactions: 2 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
yes I love jelly babies especially the black ones:nailbiting: and carry them now as a bottle of Lucazade too clumsy...each jelly baby consiste of one spoon of sugar I am told:chicken:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
3 maomi pinballs... Gorgeous.. Forget anything else!!!

Scardoc

I disagree, I know a lot of diabetics who lament about wanting smaller bottles of lucozade to tote around in case of hypos. Much nicer than those glucogels. :)

Pour it into a smaller bottle and let it go flat. The recommendation when using fizzy drinks as a hypo treatment is to take it flat. I think the sugar is absorbed quicker.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Personally I use a carton of tesco value Juice (*apple or orange) less than 60p for 3 cartons. I have them everywhere. also I use 'fun sized' cans of coke.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Personally I use a carton of tesco value Juice (*apple or orange) less than 60p for 3 cartons. I have them everywhere. also I use 'fun sized' cans of coke.

I have 2 cans of fun-sized coke in my kitchen cupboard for emergencies, probably too bulky to carry around unless you have a bag.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've also signed.

Never used lucozade for a hypo but handy for people who do.

I generally use the small cans of coke as dextros and pastilles etc just never seemed to do the trick before.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have 2 cans of fun-sized coke in my kitchen cupboard for emergencies, probably too bulky to carry around unless you have a bag.

How big do you think the lucozade bottle would be? its only 150ml contained....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
How big do you think the lucozade bottle would be? its only 150ml contained....

No I was referring to the Coke tins, a bit bulky unless you have a bag to carry them around. The Glucojuice bottles (60ml) are an ideal size for most pockets.

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
sorry but I have to disagree here. Theres a cost to the bottling and packaging. Surely smaller bottles would not make a profit. As it is 79p for a bottle is cheap. Bottles have a screw on cap meaning you can drink what you need then tighten the cap.

Why dont you just buy the small bottle of glucojuice from boots? Works as fast as lucozade - if not faster? Its a 60ml bottle with 25 grams carbohydrate.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Signed and read all the posts about this issue, everybodys views are important in this matter. ttfn

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
sorry but I have to disagree here. Theres a cost to the bottling and packaging. Surely smaller bottles would not make a profit. As it is 79p for a bottle is cheap. Bottles have a screw on cap meaning you can drink what you need then tighten the cap.

Why dont you just buy the small bottle of glucojuice from boots? Works as fast as lucozade - if not faster? Its a 60ml bottle with 25 grams carbohydrate.
Own brand bottles of the stuff are available for about 40p.
Very simple solution so you do not consume to much is to mark the bottles with a black permanent marker at the right level. Do this when first bought as lines tend to go wobble when hypo )

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Was going to say the fun size 150 ml cans 4 for £1 do the trick. And help prevent overdoing the hypo treatment. That is if the other half hasnt drank them in her need for a full fat coke after a night out

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would definitely buy these. At home I treat hypo's with Lucozade but I have the mini cans of coke in my handbag for when I'm out but have never drank it as I hate full fat coke! So silly but even when I'm feeling awful I can't bring myself to drink coke

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Y3MBailey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lucozade does come in 250ml cans as opposed to bottles.

As much as I am a diabetic I am going to put my product designer job hat on and say this is completely unrelaistic in terms of buisness. The market for diabetics is so small it will be a niche product at best and would not be a worthwhile revenue stream for the company.

It would require a whole new set of tooling to create a new can or bottle (there is a reason all companies use the same can designs) and the liquid amount would require a small charge, working on the basis a 250ml can would be about £1.00 the amount you would have to charge for this to be appealing to the consumer would not be cost efficient... the can would cost more than the liquid.... infact to make a profit they would probably need to charge more for a non standard 100ml can than a standard 250ml one.

Your only real hope is the 150ml can designed for mixers in bars (funsize they are sometimes known as to appela to kids.... you also get them on airplanes) Coke comes in this size.

If you really do not want to throw lucozade away my suggestion is buy in bottles and get one of these: http://bit.ly/1qPdCI3

Cause 100ml cans is never going to happen