Smashed my HbA1c < 27

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I have just had my diabetic meeting for results of my HbA1c and it was 27, compared to last November it was 69, to say the least I'm Chuffed to bits, smashed it out of the park. Go LCHF

Brilliant well done, tight control all the way!

Kingofnowhere

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very well done indeed. Outside the realm of possibility for me to aim that low. (Don't even get that low in the mornings!) Personally I want to get to 34, which will be pushing it!

Amazingly low, well done again.

DavidGorman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello David. That is a stunning result. Very, very well done. One of the things it does illustrate though is the impact, for those of us who are not taking any medication, of what we eat and drink.

I had a little peep at your profile, just to see if you were managing purely with diet, and noticed your comment that due to your spinal injury, your diabetes would be hard to handle. Do you still feel the same?

I really thought at the beginning with a high spinal injury Quadraplegic it was going to be hard, the lack of movement and such due to being paralysed would have an adverse effect of my levels, but with the help from my care team my levels have been easier to maintain and Home cooked meals and planning has been a key factor with LCHF, so no-longer say it's going to be hard to handle

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for posting. Successes like yours give hope and help to others.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really thought at the beginning with a high spinal injury Quadraplegic it was going to be hard, the lack of movement and such due to being paralysed would have an adverse effect of my levels, but with the help from my care team my levels have been easier to maintain and Home cooked meals and planning has been a key factor with LCHF, so no-longer say it's going to be hard to handle

I must say, my personal experience has been that what I eat and drink has been the key, with exercise/moving around just adding some finesse. The only area I'd say that differs, when looking across the bigger picture, is in maintaining dense muscle mass, particularly during any period of weight loss.

Let's face it, when it comes down to it; we can only do what we can do. Some of what we can do is amazing though.

Again, a big well done.

DavidGorman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 19840
I don't define myself at a 'T2'
There is more to my life than labeling myself T2.
You need to look beyond that to define yourself.

I merely state it's too low for me.
Which it is.
But since you ask.
A Hba1c of that level means a BG of averaging 4.7.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html
It may not be a popular view, but I don't feel good below 4.5, so an average of 4.7 would be really bad.
For me. (Some may define themselves by chasing the lowest figures, I don't, been there, don't like it)
Either I'd be chronically low a lot of the time, or I wouldn't eat anything that raises me even slightly, and that's way to limiting for my lifestyle.
I don't chase low numbers.
However, the op must be comfortable at that level, hence my statement its a good figure for him.
My average is in the 5's, which I personally like.

I was so surprised I hit 27, I wasn't chasing for a lower number or even restricting my food intake, in February it was 33' I was in fact more suprised then, down from 69 in November 2015. I actually eased up over the last 3 months, introducing more foods, experimenting with portions and carbs. Having treats as such at the movies, popcorn etc, and at home, I'd even ate several jellies as puddings which I'd thought was low/no sugar, the 10cals ones from Tesco but where the normal ones, < eeeek! BG levels went up, but also had several nights out, larger and budwisers, gin n tonics, with chicken kebabs at 11pm, normally I'd be fasting 9pm - 9am, my birthday was in that last 3 months too... Devil inside me had to have Pizza (takeaway) and 1/3 strawberry gateaux!! Oh the joys lol.... But I'd say that giving my body a rest from constantly overloading it now can handle the once now and again treat or different regularly foods I eat. At first my body couldn't handle lower BG levels, had two Hypnos one at 4.8, it wasn't until one day I felt one coming on, did a self test 4.3 quick jelly babies intake sorted me. When I went in yesterday for my HbA1c I did think I'd hit high 30's wow was I in for a shock 27. I can only assume that I'm reversing my diabetes. I'm not looking to maintain under 30 but will continue a lifestyle that suits my type 2 in keeping me healthy.

Reactions: 7 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Truly amazing and inspirational on so many levels - thanks for sharing your story:)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
View attachment 19840

I was so surprised I hit 27, I wasn't chasing for a lower number or even restricting my food intake, in February it was 33' I was in fact more suprised then, down from 69 in November 2015. I actually eased up over the last 3 months, introducing more foods, experimenting with portions and carbs. Having treats as such at the movies, popcorn etc, and at home, I'd even ate several jellies as puddings which I'd thought was low/no sugar, the 10cals ones from Tesco but where the normal ones, < eeeek! BG levels went up, but also had several nights out, larger and budwisers, gin n tonics, with chicken kebabs at 11pm, normally I'd be fasting 9pm - 9am, my birthday was in that last 3 months too... Devil inside me had to have Pizza (takeaway) and 1/3 strawberry gateaux!! Oh the joys lol.... But I'd say that giving my body a rest from constantly overloading it now can handle the once now and again treat or different regularly foods I eat. At first my body couldn't handle lower BG levels, had two Hypnos one at 4.8, it wasn't until one day I felt one coming on, did a self test 4.3 quick jelly babies intake sorted me. When I went in yesterday for my HbA1c I did think I'd hit high 30's wow was I in for a shock 27. I can only assume that I'm reversing my diabetes. I'm not looking to maintain under 30 but will continue a lifestyle that suits my type 2 in keeping me healthy.

I tend to be uncomfortable in the low 4's as well, so try to keep it higher.
I usually see my Hba1c in the low thirties, which correlates nicely to where my average is,
Many things can effect the correlation though.
I'm pleased you're doing well on it, and still having all the 'good' food as well, it does indeed sound like you are well on the road to reversing it.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
That is truly very well done indeed David.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for sharing - that's an absolutely amazing result, and I thought I'd done well to get down to low pre-diabetic levels without doing much exercise (combination of laziness and old age!).:wideyed:

I hope your story will be a real inspiration to anyone in a similar situation.

Robbity

swarnag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thanks for starting this thread and congratulations on your achievement. I was a diabetic for about 12years. I knew the complications it can bring but did not look after my self.
In October last year I found this web site. Started on LCHF. But occasionally go off the rails for few days. Even when I am strictly on low carbs find it difficult to get it below 7s. May be because the long history of diabetes. My main difficulty is not been able to eat fruits. On the days that I eat fruits I try to keep fats not very high.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

David - When you say, ".... At first my body couldn't handle lower BG levels, had two Hypnos one at 4.8,...... ", how long ago was that? I'm assuming, if I interpret your post correctly, that over time your bloods have meandered down. Is your 4.8 still your threshold for discomfort, or has it gone a bit lower?

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What a brilliant result, in such a short time too. You have every right to be proud of yourself, and so inspiring for others.