Smoking or non smoking

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I'm not the kind of person to telegraph a joke by putting emoticons and stuff, but I was jokingly referring to the generally excepted stereotype of ex-smokers as feeling superior and self-righteous, and also trying to give encouragement to the OP about one of the ways in which they'll be happier after giving up.

Thank you, nothing ruins a joke more than explaining it.

Although, frankly, if you smoke and don't at any point ever think - "I am so stupid to be paying all this money to kill myself slowly and painfully, while making life a misery for myself and those around me", then you're unlike any smoker or other drug addict I've ever met. I frequently found myself walking miles in the rain to the nearest allnight garage, or even rolling up the remains of previously smoked fags and thinking precisely this.

And also, frankly, everyone looks down on someone - Brexit voters, Trump supports, anti-vaccine parents, parents who scream at and smack their children in supermarkets, BMW drivers, cyclists on the pavement, drunken revellers in town on a Saturday night - we all find some group of people stupid (Although to clarify, I do mean 'doing a stupid thing' rather than born less intelligent)

Oh my, did I ruin your joke? Never mind, I'm sure you can look down on me for being a humourless female! Although I don't seem to be the only one that thought it was a bit naff - still, whatever you need to get by I guess.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh my, did I ruin your joke? Never mind, I'm sure you can look down on me for being a humourless female! Although I don't seem to be the only one that thought it was a bit naff - still, whatever you need to get by I guess.

Guys are a little bit different.. We "banter". No picking up and running with a bit of banter on the subject means a guy isn't listening... This banter to the untrained ear sounds harsh. But it can be a "reality check" to whom it is directed & thus more direct & suportive.. It don't mean we don't care. It's just a different culteral choice of words & aproach showing we do care with no wish to be bitter about past experience on the matter....

Looking4someone2help

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck on your first no smoke day. Don't forget small healthy victories. Gotta find a healthier alternative to look forward to when you stop an addiction. I've never been a smoker but you got this when your ready it will be worth it.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I rhink you donreplace an addiction with something.. Just try to replace it with something good... Something positive. Not sweets, or drink etc.. Make it something active and if you do say have a handful of niluts instead of a ciggie the next one go for a walk.. Then you'll be actively exercising and eating better too!!
Good luck:)

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking book did the trick for me.

Having made many attempts over the years, cold turkey and so on, I was given this book after a workplace medical. The nurse pointed out that I had nothing to lose by reading it & should I not stop using it, give it back to her. If I did then pass it on to someone else to try. I did have to read it twice, but found on second reading that something clicked within me and I haven't smoked a cigarette since.

The strangest thing with it was the lack of cravings, even though I was sat with a group of smokers at the pub & the feeling that I had never smoked in my life.

Certainly worth the try if you are struggling.

Reactions: Concordjan

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
I shall buy that book for my hubby. I don't suppose he'll read it, but worth a try. He's overweight, already had one heart attack and still smokes. It's heartbreaking and worrying that he still smokes well done to anyone who gives up.

Julesatnotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I smoked 20 a day for over 40 years, it was the first thing after coming downstairs, straight outside no matter what the weather.
In April this year I had hypnotherapy and I have never smoked since or had the desire to even though I have had a really stressful time since then.
I can sit outside at work with a cuppa and everyone around me is smoking but it doesn't bother me one bit. Best £297 I ever spent and it came with a lifelong guarantee that if I ever smoked again I could have another session free

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Switch to vaping, much better and you can still have your nicotine fix if you so choose.

Look at the teeth of vapers.... Just as dirty as smokers... That unnatural stuff in that liquid and chemicals is still poisoning your lungs and body.

Vaping has not been studied long term... They all hailed cigarettes as safe initially!!