1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Smoking

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Altaf_7, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

This is an interesting page which discusses the effects of smoking on people with diabetes in relation to amputation, strokes and retinopathy. There is a graphic where you can see how the number of cigarettes per days affects the risk of retinopathy at different HbA1cs. There's also info about support to stop smoking. http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/prevention/smoking_and_diabetes.htm

2. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Yes a recent study perports to have shown that it is the nicotine that does the damage as far as blood sugars are concerned so vaping is not a solution it would be best to give up all together easier said than done.

Though my grandson who vapes constantly is now using E liquid with zero nicotine.

I have decided that smoking is no longer an option for me and have set a date on which I will stop, I hasten to add that this is not a response to my grandsons constant nagging no really honestly it's not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think we all agree smoking is not good for us or for anybody. I smoked for over 40 years and the day I was told I had high blood pressure and to stop smoking was the best thing I could do for my health... I had not got diabetes then. That was enough for me to give up and I never smoked another cigarette from that day that was 12 years ago. I never used any nicotine aids to do it just chewed normal gum as something for my mouth to do. It was far easier to stop than I had ever imagined it could be and I wished I had done it years before I just needed that incentive to make me do it which I had never really had before

• Like Like x 1
  4. darenu

darenu Type 2 · Well-Known Member

After smoking for the majority of the last 35 years, I switched to vaping about 3 months ago (more precisely while withdrawing from Tramadol). Recently started reducing nicotine level which was pretty easy. Then last week I mislaid my device on a taxi ride home and decided I wouldn’t bother with vaping anymore and it’s been pretty straightforward.

I had tried vaping before but always just went back to the Marlboro Lights. This time tho, I also used a low strength patch for the first few weeks of vaping, which did seem to help.

Never stop trying to give up!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tannith

Tannith · Well-Known Member

My mother said, in 1979 " you have to do it sometime so why not do it now?" ie before it has done any more damage. I agree with that and did then, but still did not manage to give up myself till 2000. After umpteen attempts - probably at least 20 serious attempts. In my opinion it got more and more difficult as time went on. Nicotine is apparently far more addictive than heroin, though some say it does less damage. Awful drug. My very best wishes to anyone trying to stop. Good luck. And has been said above, don't give up giving up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. tom58

tom58 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well over two thirds of the price of a packet of fags goes directly to the government in taxes. That was my main reason for giving up smoking many years ago. However, I did find that smoking would pick me up enough to go and eat or drink something sweet if my blood sugar was lower than 2.0. Has anyone else noticed this effect?

7. LouWilk059

LouWilk059 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, it apparently raises blood sugar.

8. Mark_1

Mark_1 · Well-Known Member

I think you should write your aunt a letter telling her how you feel and why you want her to give up. Put in an envelope, write her name on the front, give it to her and leave her alone to read it. Maybe she doesn’t know how important it would be to you. Ask her to keep the letter somewhere were she can re-read it each time she wants another cigarette.

9. Humma

Humma Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Its bad for every part of you

Attached Files:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook