Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I wish I could give up. I've tried everything from cold turkey to Zyban to vaping and nothing has worked. I've been a smoker for forty years and now I can't see a time when I could say 'I'm a non smoker' And yes, it can affect bg.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My mother became T1 in her early twenties and smoked heavily till she was 70. Her practice nurse finally got her to quit, 6 months before she needed heart bypass surgery. (Lucky, because they would not have operated if she had still been a smoker). They wanted to do a quadruple bypass, but did a double because of the state of her lungs...
She died at 78. I'm pretty sure she'd still be alive were it not for the smoking. Smoking is terrible for your cardiovascular system, as is diabetes. Combining them is really not recommended.

Reactions: Altaf_7

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed diabetic 21 years ago in the midst of a medical emergency requiring surgery.
The consultant in charge of my care told me that smoking is between 2 & 10 times as dangerous for a diabetic as for a non diabetic, primarily because of the increased risks of cardio vascular disease from both smoking and diabetes - heart attack, stroke, microvascular efffects impinging on circulation to the extremities and therefore increased risk for amputations etc etc etc
That was enough to make me stop smoking overnight having been a 40 a day girl for more years than I like to think

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A few years ago the practice nurse at a doctors I attended persuaded me to embark on a quit smoking program and I did quit I used to attend regular checks at the surgery and she would get me to breath into a little gizmo that could detect if I had had a cigarette she kept telling me how if I didn't quit I would die young well younger than I would else wise. This continued for quite a while until I turned up for my appointment one day only to be told that unfortunately she had died suddenly a few days before, she was only forty, I went out and bought a pack of cigarettes and sparked one up.

Lois_x_x_greener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I wish I could give up. I've tried everything from cold turkey to Zyban to vaping and nothing has worked. I've been a smoker for forty years and now I can't see a time when I could say 'I'm a non smoker' And yes, it can affect bg.
I know I’m only little (10) and shouldn’t really be talking about this but I was just wondering my aunt has type 1 (like me) and she smokes at least 7-10 times a day so if you do figure Something out please let me know best wishes

Lois xx

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Champix worked for me - brilliant! I smoked for over 40 yrs, increasing amount over time. In the last few years up to 60 a day, particularly when I wasn't sleeping well so smoked a lot during nighttime, and during winter months when I couldn't get out to potter in the garden. I had no thought or intention to stop smoking, particularly after such a long time, and I enjoyed my smoke - but my GP referred me to the stop-smoking nurse. Despite my telling her that I had no intention of stopping smoking, the nurse persuaded me to try, and prescribed Champix. I did it, only to be polite, but still with no intention of giving up my ciggies! I started the programme, not expecting any result at all, and nobody was more surprised than me when after about a week, I didn't have a cigarette, prior to a review meeting with the nurse, and never had another. I stopped there and then, no problems, no craving, no withdrawal symptoms, nothing. I didn't even finish the course. It worked for me. May not work for anyone/everyone else - but is worth a try, if it suits you medically-speaking.

p.s. Forgot to say, that was just over 3 yrs ago & I haven't smoked since, nor ever wanted to. Though I did have some withdrawal symptoms-- a severe cough (I never coughed before when I smoked!), sore throat, and teeth sensitivity, that went on for about 2 years, & was not pleasant to say the least. OK now, so was worth it in the long run.

Last edited:
Reactions: Altaf_7 and Guzzler

Jared1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
There's a newer drug called I think Champix. People say it works better than zyban. I don't know, I haven't tried it myself.
I tried champix and gave up while taking it was still hard for first week or so very concious effort needed- pretty quickly relapsed though - think would have been ok if didint give in to having the odd "1" still would take a lot of will power though - so that was 3 months not smoking.

Then I tried vape - took quite a few tries of different "flavours" before found one I could put up with but after a while I found I would actully rather my vape than cigarettes- that stopped me smoking for 6 months - then they stopped making the flavour was used to do now I'm back to trying different ones with a pack of smokes in my pocket too, currently smoking about half what used to I guess but do think be easy to switch back to vape when find something that dosint make me feel like I'm smoking a food lol

Problem with vape is still getting nicotine so if don't have that your instantly wanting cigarettes again. You still have the addiction.

I'll try champix again but here in new Zealand they are only funded once a year so I'll try again then but I don't feel it will be easy still as it's giving up addiction/habit were as the vape isint

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thanks for all the info on champix. I may ask the gp about it.

Tannith

BANNED
https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/nicotine-blood-sugar#2
I would strongly recommend going to a smoking cessation group if you can get to one. You get to talk to others sharing the same battle. And of course never think you can ever have just one. I gave up (using a group and zyban - chamonix wasn't available then. It was the hardest thing I ever did. It was also the best thing I ever did. I was desperately stressed, absolutely frantic, all day and every day for 3/4 months during which I used patches , inhalers and other nicotine replacement products, as for some reason at first I wasn't keen to go to the doctor for help. Then, having noticed that all the people in my group who used zyban succeeded, I finally went and asked for it myself. I asked for a second course which I was given with the stern warning that that would be all. But I stopped half way through the second course.

Jared1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
What that article is saying is that in relation to diabetes- it is the nicotine alone that causes the problems, not smoking (obiously smoking has its own health drawbacks) and that would be no better off switching to vape in terms of risk of getting diabetes?

That's what I got from that short article - I don't know if that's a question or a statement but taken back by that fact if it's true-I'll interested in doing more research on it

Jared1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
What that article is saying is that in relation to diabetes- it is the nicotine alone that causes the problems, not smoking (obiously smoking has its own health drawbacks) and that would be no better off switching to vape in terms of risk of getting diabetes?

That's what I got from that short article - I don't know if that's a question or a statement but taken back by that fact if it's true-I'll interested in doing more research on it
https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/www....beware-Nicotine-raises-blood-sugar-Study.aspx

Answered my own question - I found this really interesting Relating to nicotine replacement options and diabetes.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's a newer drug called I think Champix. People say it works better than zyban. I don't know, I haven't tried it myself.
i have tried champix and it made me really ill dizzy spells nausea and nightmares it did make me stop smoking for abit but only because it made me feel so ill:meh:

Reactions: Crystalwand