Smoothies

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that depends on who is tasting it - knowing that in a few minutes my glucose would be high and I would be feeling low is really off putting.

M

Member496333

I’ve been known to make the odd double cream, coconut milk, 100% cocoa chocolate, cacoa butter, freshly squeezed lemon juice. More as a quick energy bomb than anything else. Not had one in ages though.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
To be fair, the OP doesn’t state what type they are, but smoothies can be tricky to insulinate for.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suspect that depends on who is tasting it - knowing that in a few minutes my glucose would be high and I would be feeling low is really off putting.
I find the peanut butter negates any potential spike in BS levels.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh yes - the speed of absorption must be problematic - I was just thinking in type two terms.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to make green smoothies regularly.
They were no problem for the blood glucose at all (I don’t use tablets or insulin to control my blood glucose, so have to do it by dietary control).

The excellent thing about green smoothies is that tailor them to your own personal requirements, and can change any ingredient depending on fibre, carb and flavour, to create whatever smoothie you like.
The general idea is less than 40% fruit (flavour and sweetness), more than 60% mild tasting veg, and a liquid.
To make it low carb, simply select low carb fruit like berries, and a low carb liquid, like water instead of fruit juice.

Favourite recipes of mine were

Spinach
Courgette
Avocado
Water
Berries
Cashew nuts

Or

Baby kale
Celery
Cucumber
Water
Pear
Ginger
Half a lemon

I also did a fab Black Forest Gateau smoothie with
Lettuce or salad greens
Courgette
Half an apple
Frozen black cherries (not many)
Cashews or macademias
Cocoa powder

Please note that these are whole veg pulp smoothies with masses of fibre, not sweet tropical fruit sugar dumps.

I can never understand how people make sweeping generalisations about ‘smoothies’ causing high blood glucose ‘spikes’.

The reality is that any one of us can put together an excellent smoothie, packed full of nutrition, flavour and freshness, without causing any untoward blood glucose impact. Its easy. It just takes a bit of practice, the correct balance of ingredients, and not drinking it by the bucket full.