Hi has anyone found a decent snack bar or a recipe for making some? Thank you

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you’re looking for low carb ones, I can recommend Phd Smart bars or Carb Killas, both available in Tesco. On the face of it the total carb count is high, however they are sweetened with Polyols (sugar alcohols, neither sugar or alcohol though). Most people don’t absorb Polyols so doesn’t affect blood sugars, some posting on this forum do get a spike though. So to work out the ‘impact’ carbs you need to subtract the Polyol carb count from the total carb count.
They all have a warning “excessive consumption may have a laxative effect.”
I’m lucky that I don’t get a spike or a laxative effect.

Reactions: neverforever

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you’re looking for low carb ones, I can recommend Phd Smart bars or Carb Killas, both available in Tesco. On the face of it the total carb count is high, however they are sweetened with Polyols (sugar alcohols, neither sugar or alcohol though). Most people don’t absorb Polyols so doesn’t affect blood sugars, some posting on this forum do get a spike though. So to work out the ‘impact’ carbs you need to subtract the Polyol carb count from the total carb count.
I’m one that reacts to these commercial bars because they use maltitol and to be honest on other groups I see I am far from unusual. All I can say is check the first few bars carefully at a number of intervals eg 1 2 3 and even maybe 4 hrs to establish your own personal reaction.

Quest bars available from Holland and Barrett use erythritol which I’m ok with. All polyols are not equal in their effects

They’re all quite expensive (£2-3 each)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have used peanut 9 bars and kind bars.
They have around 16g carbs per bar, which looks quite high, but because the carbs are mainly in the nuts, and fairly high fibre, they don’t significantly raise my blood glucose.

It is probably a good idea to try one of each recommendation, and see how you and your test meter reacts.
I find that the carb killas and Phd Smart bars really do not suit me.

Having said that, I only carry the kind bars as emergency bottom of the bag fall backs. I do much better eating large meals and not snacking at all.

:)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like the Kind nut bars the salted caramel as it isn't very sweet tasting. Like @Brunneria I only carry them in my bag for times when I need something I don't really snack as a rule but like to have something to hand just in case I'm out and need to eat and there's nothing suitable available. Half of one is enough to keep me going for a couple of hours. They are a good bar for carrying around as they are mainly nuts and don't get squashed or bashed up easily

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m another one that spikes with Carb Killa and PhD bars. Significantly! They also taste very, very sweet.

Recently tried a couple of varieties of Kind bars with mixed results. One didn’t spike at all and also didn’t taste sweet. Not so with the other.

Tend to use these only as a last resort - I prefer not to snack or to select something with fewer carbs such as pork crackling or a small pack of nuts.

I do have a decent recipe for making high fibre chocolate bars which I’ll come back and post once I’m home.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@neverforever here’s the recipe, with thanks to @ianpspurs for the original recipe, @shelley262 for experimenting and adapting

Can be used to make plain flapjacks or chocolate flapjacks, with or without caramel

Ingredients

Dry mix:
200g ground flaxseed (or 150g flaxseed, 20g inulin, 30g psyllium husk)
90g chopped nuts (I use a mixture of almonds, macadamias and brazils)

For caramel:

150g salted butter
60g monkfruit sweetener (or 60g erythritol and 50g inulin, or a commercial low carb caramel)

For chocolate bars:

150g high percentage cocoa chocolate (85% or higher)

For finishing touch:

100ml double cream

Method

1. Have dry ingredients ready in large mixing bowl

2. If making caramel - melt the butter in a pan then add the monkfruit sweetener and dissolve (or if using the inulin/erythritol combo, dissolve inulin followed by the erythritol. It will crystallise if you don't keep stirring. You'll need to keep heat low until sweetener dissolves. Then raise temp slightly and lightly bubble while stirring until the mix turns a light caramel colour. NB don’t over cook - it will be difficult to work with and may make flapjack/bars too chewy, you're aiming for flavour it doesn't need to be thickened.

3. If using commercial caramel sauce -melt the butter in a pan and take off heat and cool and then add enough of the sauce to the butter to give flavour and sweetness to personal taste.

4. Mix the caramel sauce into dry mixture until it is combined

5. Divide mix into 10 and press into moulds (I use a silicone mould with 12 slots) - put in fridge to cool and set.

6. If making chocolate high fibre bars - once caramel and dry mix combined leave to one side to cool a bit. Meanwhile melt the dark chocolate and then mix into the flapjack mixture.

7. Finally add the double cream and mix well.

Then divide into moulds and put in fridge to cool and set.

Or, I guess you could just melt a load of high % cocoa dark chocolate and pour it over nuts of your choice for a satisfying snack!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@neverforever here’s the recipe, with thanks to @ianpspurs for the original recipe, @shelley262 for experimenting and adapting

Can be used to make plain flapjacks or chocolate flapjacks, with or without caramel

Ingredients

Dry mix:

For caramel:

150g salted butter
60g monkfruit sweetener (or 60g erythritol and 50g inulin, or a commercial low carb caramel)

For chocolate bars:

For finishing touch:

100ml double cream

Method

2. If making caramel - melt the butter in a pan then add the monkfruit sweetener and dissolve (or if using the inulin/erythritol combo, dissolve inulin followed by the erythritol. It will crystallise if you don't keep stirring. You'll need to keep heat low until sweetener dissolves. Then raise temp slightly and lightly bubble while stirring until the mix turns a light caramel colour. NB don’t over cook - it will be difficult to work with and may make flapjack/bars too chewy, you're aiming for flavour it doesn't need to be thickened.

3. If using commercial caramel sauce -melt the butter in a pan and take off heat and cool and then add enough of the sauce to the butter to give flavour and sweetness to personal taste.

5. Divide mix into 10 and press into moulds (I use a silicone mould with 12 slots) - put in fridge to cool and set.

6. If making chocolate high fibre bars - once caramel and dry mix combined leave to one side to cool a bit. Meanwhile melt the dark chocolate and then mix into the flapjack mixture.

Or, I guess you could just melt a load of high % cocoa dark chocolate and pour it over nuts of your choice for a satisfying snack!
I just looked up inulin. It seems quite expensive?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just looked up inulin. It seems quite expensive?
Yes, it is. I’ve never used it - if making the caramel, I go with the monkfruit option, although I know some prefer inulin. The monkfruit is this one: https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-2000049-lakanto-monkfruit-golden-sweetener-8-29-oz

I’ve made the chocolate bars with inulin (of course autocorrect wants to write insulin!) it only uses a small amount so a packet lasts a few batches! Well worth it I love these bars :hungry:

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve made the chocolate bars with inulin (of course autocorrect wants to write insulin!) it only uses a small amount so a packet lasts a few batches! Well worth it I love these bars :hungry:
Made with insulin..... this could solve all our issues. Food laced with enough insulin to cover the spike. :woot:;)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it looks like misspelt insulin.

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Thank you that’s great

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have used peanut 9 bars and kind bars.
They have around 16g carbs per bar, which looks quite high, but because the carbs are mainly in the nuts, and fairly high fibre, they don’t significantly raise my blood glucose.

It is probably a good idea to try one of each recommendation, and see how you and your test meter reacts.
I find that the carb killas and Phd Smart bars really do not suit me.

Having said that, I only carry the kind bars as emergency bottom of the bag fall backs. I do much better eating large meals and not snacking at all.

:)

That’s what I wanted just a fall back for traveling. Very helpful thank you

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Ingredients

Dry mix:

For caramel:

150g salted butter

For chocolate bars:

For finishing touch:

100ml double cream

Method

Fabulous I’ll have a go. Thank you for posting this

Reactions: Goonergal