Snack ideas please (and hello!)

tiamai_d

I was told on Friday that my GTT came back as 9.4 and the fasting bloods before the glucose drink (which I didn't manage to finish due to it really wanting to make a re-appearance!) were high also.

Up on Tuesday to collect my kit (I get a monitor, at least I saw the boxes when I had my GTT) and see the dietitian etc. Been told for now to avoid sugary snacks and high sugar content food, the basics basically.

I know how to make a main meal that is low in sugar but what I am struggling with is snacks. What snacks can I have that won't send my sugar levels crazy?

This is pretty out the blue for me, I am just over 32 weeks pregnant and was being closely monitored as I have had pre-eclampsia twice with eclampsia and a placentral abruption in my last pregnancy, so GD was not expected!!! First time I was induced at 35 weeks, second time an emergency c section at 33 weeks. Babies were 5lb5oz and 5lb12oz respectively. Although it explains why I have been dizzy, blurry vision, visual upsets and headaches but each time I have had pre-eclampsia bloods done they have been fine. BP is only borderline high too (means I have gotten further in this pregnancy than in the other two without BP shooting up).

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Nuts,cheese triangles, vegetable cruditees, ( I love raw cauliflower florets 8) ) SMALL portion of berries,
That's just a few snacks.
When you have more news, get back to us . In the meantime, I hope you and your baby do well

Dipsy

You can get meaty snacks from supermarket which are nice - flavoured chicken bits and the like, or pepperami etc. I also snack on cheese. Otherwise a single cream cracker with peanut butter worked wonders during the first trimester for me! Otherwise like hanadr said, veggie bits (with a nice dip).

cardiganlover

Nuts were my snack of choice, it's amazing how many you can have! Cashews are bad, but walnuts, hazelnuts etc all great. My favourite were pistachio nuts! I also snacked on lots of meat and things like sardines....it's amazing which foods you grow to love. The suggestion of cheese is another good one ;)

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Avoid other beverages and have green tea (it helps in reducing weight also). Eat only brown bread stuff. Have baked things instead of the fried ones. Have popcorn instead of chips...etc