1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Snacking advice please

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Fraddycat, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Fraddycat

Fraddycat · Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I travel a lot on business and a couple of evenings ago I was stranded in a European airport, flight delayed, no snacks left in my bag and I had the following options from an airport cafe: Bagette sandwich with ham, cheese and salad, croissants, pain au chocolate, cheesecake, doughnuts, chocolate bars, apple, banana. Which should I choose???

I chose the apple, which was a complete waste of time, I ate it and was more hungry 10 minutes later. Luckily I managed to get a bag of salted nuts on the plane.

Any advice from you all would be welcome!

Thanks
    Jane

2. MaryJ

MaryJ · Well-Known Member

Out of that list i think i would have gone with the apple like you did or the baguette and leave most of the bread,

hard one.

You can plan as much as you like not to be caught on the hop but there's always going to be the odd occaision you are at the mercy of the shops, who just dont give any consideration for low carb at all,

Mary x

3. Fraddycat

Yes Mary, I kind of think the bagette might have been a better option, but I am not sure about my willpower to leave the bread!! :D

4. Grazer

Grazer · Well-Known Member

I'd have gone for the apple and baguette and ditched the bread. When I'm travelling, I do always have with me a bag of mixed nuts and an Atkins daybreak bar for snackeries in case the snackery shop has nothing suitable.

5. hallii

hallii · Well-Known Member

I find that a cup of coffee will stave off those hunger pangs for an hour or so, that way I can find something more suitable.

H

6. Grazer

Pint of lager does the same :thumbup:

7. Fraddycat

Thanks Guys, I have found a glass of water does often stave hunger off for a bit, and I read on the LCHF website that beer is liquid bread, unfortunately, plus I had to drive home afterwards. Still I survived and will make sure I have more snacks with me next time. :D

8. borofergie

borofergie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sounds like Frankfurt airport to me. All airports suck, but German airports suck most of all.

Nuts are usually the best bet.

9. Grazer

Your call Freddy. I was kinda joking about the beer, but you should know that reference to it as "liquid bread" is probably way off the mark. For most people it will LOWER your BG, because of the effect of alcohol restricting the livers ability to process carbs. This is why type 1s have to be wary of hypos if they drink alcohol (including beer! ) just wanted you to know!

10. Fraddycat

It was Geneva airport, with the tannoy that sounds like 'how much is that doggy in the window' not as bad as Frankfurt for sure but pretty soulless. I had nuts in my bag but had to eat them the night before when i got to the hotel and the only food available was pasta.

Thanks for the alcohol advice Grazer, its my weakness, but I generally stick to wine, so far a couple of glasses of wine doesn't seem to be having a negative impact on my weight loss, since starting on Low Carb I have been losing a pound a day. Feeling brilliant!! Not even feeling deprived.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook