Snacks for the gym

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone got any good small snacks to have in the gym, I tried jelly babies, but ended up as high as a kite and they seemed to take time to work (obviously I took too many), should I take one or two glucose tablets instead as I don't really want to be eating bars of stuff etc

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I take cheese and salami or pepperami after l asked from here. About 50gram cheddar and about 5 slices of the meat... thin prepacked ones.Seems to do me fine after an hr with my killer PT instructor.:)

MID

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lucozade, just sip before and during (if needed) and after if you dont want an extra snack. Quick acting, finish absorbtion before workout and wont bloat you.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have 1/2 banana or part of a fruit bar just before I enter the gym

Kelsie

I sip lucozade or pineapple juice (I don't have pineapple juice if I'm doing an intense cardio session though, it doesn't bode well together! Ha) throughout my gym sessions or have two jammy dodgers. I work in a gym too so am constantly on the go, so generally I find lucozade works well for me or a couple bites of a carbohydrate protein bar every now and then :) everyone is different with what snacks they prefer whilst exercising, my brother is type one too and doesn't like fruit juice with a session at all whether it's weights or cardio.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Another shout for bananas to keep bg up, however if hypo it's always best to take fast-acting glucose such as JB's, Gluco-Tabs or Lucozade.