Snacks that don’t need refrigeration

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Over the weekend I went to retreat. They did their best foodie wise for low carb.
I’ve thing i found was I are more at meals as I didn’t have access to anything if I got hungry or whatever. The snacks were biscuits etc.
So for next year I’m looking for snacks I can take that I can have if I need them. I don’t want to use their fridge (not even sure I’d have access and don’t want to risk losing them etc).
In the middle of nowhere so no shops around and it’s very much out if my comfort zone as I like ti know I can eat something if I need to (that means I feel safer and can eat less at meals).
Any ideas please?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nuts are a good snack you could also wrap chunks of cheese in cling film
Carol

Reactions: woollygal

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would cheese be ok in warm/hot weather?

That would depend how hot, storage conditions (In a drawer or bag, versus in direct sunlight) and how well packed it was. Baby Bels or wrapped cheese portions would be better that a slab of Brie for obvious reasons.

I think your original query would lead folks to understand you'd just been on retreat, with a repeat next year. November isn't well known for it's heatwaves. :)

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
That would depend how hot, storage conditions (In a drawer or bag, versus in direct sunlight) and how well packed it was. Baby Bels or wrapped cheese portions would be better that a slab of Brie for obvious reasons.

I think your original query would lead folks to understand you'd just been on retreat, with a repeat next year. November isn't well known for it's heatwaves. :)
There is another one in may next year as well then October.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Peperami sticks don't need refrigeration and there are some brands of jerky or biltong that are low carb (though check carefully as some of them have eye watering amounts of unnecessary sugar/carbs in them), or the baked cheese crisp things - cheesies or Serious Pig snacking cheese.

However, I think your strategy of eating more at meals to try and avoid the need for snacks is a better one - 'snacks' tend not to be filling unless you eat a lot of them.

Reactions: lovinglife

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there a reason eating more filling meals and avoiding snacks is not desirable? It’s what most of us T2 aim for. Fewer “feeds” also means fewer glucose and insulin spikes and a chance to reset levels between meals. Reducing insulin resistance in the long term.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Is there a reason eating more filling meals and avoiding snacks is not desirable? It’s what most of us T2 aim for. Fewer “feeds” also means fewer glucose and insulin spikes and a chance to reset levels between meals. Reducing insulin resistance in the long term.
Because I felt I was eating for the sake of eating. Way more than I do at home. But was worried the meals wouldn’t necessarily be filling (first night I had broccoli with a piece of poached salmon- lovely but didn’t fill me at all).
They try but aren’t as good as I would do at home.
I just found I doubled the fried breakfast because I thought if I ate that and food wasn’t amazing rest of day it would help. It did but then with eating meals rest of day I just felt too bloated.
But by the end of the 3rd day I felt bloated and just like I’d eaten way way too much.
Second night they did cottage pie so I said that’s fine just give me the mince separately.
I think I’m so used to controlling everything I eat (I don’t usually snack nowadays) I make a larger wrap for lunch ( it’s fake wrap) and then have half for lunch then half between lessons. I can’t do 4 hours of lessons without something so just divvied lunch up. It works as I’ve lost a stone (meds do work to curb appetite).
I’m very much out of my comfort zone when others are doing my food. I know what works and I tend to have same lunch every day. Also dinners. It works so no point changing. But when I’m away it throws me because I have zero control over my food.

• Hug
Reactions: HSSS

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Peperami sticks don't need refrigeration and there are some brands of jerky or biltong that are low carb (though check carefully as some of them have eye watering amounts of unnecessary sugar/carbs in them), or the baked cheese crisp things - cheesies or Serious Pig snacking cheese.

However, I think your strategy of eating more at meals to try and avoid the need for snacks is a better one - 'snacks' tend not to be filling unless you eat a lot of them.
Agreed it’s just when I go away. More emergency stuff that I have if I need it.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I take small tins of tuna, cheesies (baked dried cheese), dark chocolate and maybe homemade peanut or other nut butter balls depending on long I'll be away for.
Cheesies make a good filling snack if I'm on a train with no suitable food for hours.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a Engel fridge / freezer to keep snacks food cold, handy in the truck and where ever I need a cold storage solution.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Olives can come in packets rather than jars, smaller portions and therefore more expensive but usual for journeys

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You could try some baked things 'sugarfreelondoner' has lots of useful recipes which all seem to work well - though I had to reduce the sweetness as I am not used to 'normal' amounts now.

Reactions: woollygal