Snacks

honey badger

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all.
I had slowly got off the wagon, and my sugar levels had gone up.
Last weekend I really got back on the wagon, and started hardly any carbs
and very small portions, to try and get the numbers down.
All week the numbers have come down.
However this morning I awoke feeling a bit shall we say fragile, and queazy.
My blood was 4.8
I had half a digestive and a cup of tea, and within 20 mins I was feeling ok.
My question is, as I want to lose weight as well as lower my BS, and was wondering
what snackS can I have, which will higher my BS a tad, without raising my weight.
Thank You, Steve.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.
My blood was 4.8
My question is, as I want to lose weight as well as lower my BS, and was wondering
what snackS can I have, which will higher my BS a tad, without raising my weight.
Thank You, Steve.

Hi Steve - Are you taking any medication to help with your diabetes? I only ask as that could influence how appropriate some responses could be.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.
My blood was 4.8
Thank You, Steve.
Hey Steve,

What you were feeling was likely a false hypo. It feels wretched, but that's because your body thinks you actually are hypo. If you've been higher for a long time, it just takes a little while for your body to get used to normal blood sugars again. If you keep upping them it'll take longer to get over that bump. Now, if your profile is up-to-date and you're still on oral meds, could you let us know which ones you're on? Because if you're on blood glucose lowering medication (not metformin), you might've had an actual hypo in the night and you got the 4,8 on the upswing after a liver dump of glucose. But 4,8 isn't usually a number that requires a snack. So I can't say anything sensible about snacks... If they raise your BG they will eventually raise your weight as well, so that's a bit of a catch-22. The usual snacks I'd advocate are hard cheeses, pork scratchings, cold cuts, extra dark chocolate, but those won't do what you're asking for.

So, sorry for being absolutely useless, I guess...

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
(Do you have any idea what your BG's doing the rest of the day, and how low carb are you going?)

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As someone on no medication other than metformin I can't really offer any advice although I think a level of 4.8 is okay not a hypo. However, since you are on mediation I can't really say much- what are your levels usually? I have heard of a false hypo so that may be one thing to consider if the facts fit it.

Good luck.