So are we allowed to give blood?

CR741

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello all,
So are we allowed to give blood?
Sorry, I was just wondering this. I have seen things that say no, but have also seen things that say yes if you haven't used a certain type of insulin. I have also read things that say we can as long as its under certain provisions.
I was just curious again... :D
CR741

RussG

The UK national blood transfusion service info line is 0300 123 23 23 so they are probably the best to give you a definitive answer. However my understanding is that any diabetic treated with drugs (i.e. from metformin upwards) is not currently allowed to donate blood in the UK. This may have changed, so give them a call.

jones_48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi CR741,

I'm type 1 and was turned away from a blood donation clinic recentley as i was told type ones are not allowed. However i think that if you are type 2 and have good control you can donate :)

Jones

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 2's can donate if they are on tablets as long as their doseage has not changed in the last 4 weeks and they are fit and well.
I am a regular donor and once I got settled on the tablets I re-started donations with no problem.
Something to watch that may be connected to the diabetes though is I tend to re-bleed after they put he plaster on the donation site now whereas before I didn't, may be worthg bearing in mind for any T2's out there who decide to go.
I will carry on donating until they decide they don't want my quota!!
HTH
Angie

RussG

Hi Angie,

Thanks - that's positive. I was definitely told that I could not donate blood when on metformin a couple of years ago. I know that they were reviewing the general donation criteria but haven't heard what they are now. The website just tells you to call the number if you're on medication.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
RussG said:
Hi Angie,

Thanks - that's positive. I was definitely told that I could not donate blood when on metformin a couple of years ago. I know that they were reviewing the general donation criteria but haven't heard what they are now. The website just tells you to call the number if you're on medication.

Hi Russ,
I was only diagnosed last November so it's all fairly recent.
I asked my Nurse when I was diagnosed (strange what you think of) and she wasn't sure but said give them a call.
I rang the helpline number and they were very helpful and explained everything well.
The first donation I did afterwards I told them about the medication etc and they were great, checked I had had something to eat beforehand, asked if I knew if my levels were ok and kept asking if I felt alright during the donation etc. Everything went well and I was happy to continue with future donations as a result.
If anyone is in doubt just give them a call, they are great to talk to.
Angie

blackie2711

Hi

I know how you feel I asked that question when I was diagnosed in June but I rang the transfusion service and they told me Type 1 couldnt donate in case we had a hypo - so disappointed!

Elaine

Snodger

blackie2711 said:
Hi

I know how you feel I asked that question when I was diagnosed in June but I rang the transfusion service and they told me Type 1 couldnt donate in case we had a hypo - so disappointed!

Elaine
what an odd, and kind of old-fashioned, reason they gave. I wonder why they think having a pint of blood removed would make a difference? And why don't they think we could sort any hypo ourselves with the biscuit they provide afterwards?
I gave up giving blood when I was diagnosed but now I wonder about going down there and getting stroppy. Ah maybe not. Too many other things to get stroppy about. :evil:

[edit] - dammit I couldn't help it. Have just emailed the national blood service. I said 'I'm interested to know why T1s can't give blood. It can't be because they'd go hypo, because in that case exercise would also be banned'.
Will let you know what they say.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
blackie2711 said:
Hi

If donating blood makes your BG go down, I'm going to buy me some leeches (think how fat they'd get on all that carb!).

Stephen

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
borofergie said:
blackie2711 said:
Hi

If donating blood makes your BG go down, I'm going to buy me some leeches (think how fat they'd get on all that carb!).

Stephen

Sorry to disappoint you guys but in my case it doesn't. In fact it doesn't seem to make any difference at all to my levels. I did wonder when I went the first time and tested before and after and there was no significant change.
As for type 1's, I think it is the needle thing that stops you as you can't donate if you have been recently tatooed, received transfusions, injected drugs etc. so I guess they are worried about the needles.
Regards
Angie

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Found the email reply they sent me when i enquired...

"You may donate as long as EITHER you have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes (abnormal blood sugar) or gestational (pregnancy) diabetes as long as you do not require treatment at present or your diabetes is controlled by diet alone OR You are taking the same dose of the same medication for 4 weeks or more and feeling fit and well and in either case the following does NOT apply:

You are not under investigations
You have needed no treatment with insulin within the last 4 weeks
You have not suffered from Heart Failure
You are not under investigation, on treatment or under follow up for renal (kidney) impairment
You have never had ulcers or wounds related to a loss of sensation
You have had no amputation or blood vessel surgery
You have never had gangrene
You have no problems with feeling faint, fainting or giddiness"

HTH
Angie

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told, when I rang the blood donation hotline to ask, the reason they didn't want blood from people with type 1 diabetes was that the blood would have fewer platelets than required. Though I had a FBC done twice earlier in the year, and they didn't mention any decreased platelet levels. So I'm not sure if what the helpline told me was correct?

RussG

This sounds to me a like a blanket ban on T1s donating blood, but without a clear written explanation to staff on the helpline as to why, hence people saying different thinkgs. However Angie's email suggests anyone on insulin definitely can't donate.

Snodger

Clearly they don't really have a consistent answer.
This is what they have just sent me:

"The rule is based on the unpredictability of blood sugar levels of people who are taking insulin.

Should you require further information about this, please refer to the Blood Safety and Quality Regulations 2005 Act on http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005 ... tents/made"

If you look at the Blood Safety and Quality Regs it doesn't give any reason at all for the ban - it just says we aren't allowed to give blood.

alaska

I imagine there could be practical difficulties with allowing people on insulin to give blood.

Because blood sugar levels are changing, they would likely need to make sure blood was within the right range before blood could be taken.

Imagine if some poor soul received 3 or more batches of either hypo or hyperglycaemic blood during a transfusion. Statistically it could happen.

So blood would need to be in the right range meaning that each blood donor centre would likely need to have blood glucose testing equipment available -and this may in itself add a level of complexity that the blood donor service would rather not have.

The service might wish to ensure people hadn't eaten or injected up to a number of hours prior to the blood test -again adding uncertainty and more complexity to the task.

I've no idea if any of these are part of the reason though.

Snodger

yeah, I'm not sure that is what they mean - are they saying the bg fluctuations are bad for the donor or bad for the recipient? I've emailed them back to ask them.
The one and only time I gave blood was just before I was diagnosed. The blood they took from me would have had a bg level of about 25. I agree... poor sod who got that little lot!

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fluctuating levels would apply to us type 2 also though.
They just asked me if I was feeling ok and if I'd had something to eat beforehand the first time, since then they haven't checked as it is not flagged up due to no change in my medications.
They never said anything about making sure the levels were right before donation or anything so I don't think that is the reason (bearing in mind many type 2's don't test).
HTH
Angie

alaska

good points :)

I know that with hypoglycemia, it's only really been recently that the NHS have realised just how common hypos can be for people on tablets (like sulfonylureas).

Snodger

Hello everyone
the latest on this - just got a letter from the blood service. They say:
"NHSBT Guidelines are based on concern about the risk of adverse effects to the donor...blood donation is a procedure not without risk in itself and we are cautious about volunteer donors exposing themselves to the possibility of injury as a consequence... we exclude any individual who has a predisposition to fainting and the effect on the blood sugar is a similar concern".

So in other words, they assume that, although they trust us to keep an eye on our own blood sugar the rest of the time, they don't trust us to do so in the presence of their staff? does seem odd. I suppose there aren't enough stroppy type 1s to make it a political issue. (only me...)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, I am type2 and have been told it isnt advisable for me to give or consider giving blood.
My diabetes isnt under control yet and am an insulin user.
They are however in great need of my rare blood type thou!
I only asked as was trying to help...
Anna.x :)