1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

So bleeping angry with my gp!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by calamitygayn, May 12, 2014.

1. calamitygayn

calamitygayn Type 1 · Well-Known Member

no idea yet....will find out tomorrow....main point is I lost complete confidence in previous gp...now I know what I need to accept....feeling positive tho.....can't be worse really!!!

2. Scandichic

Scandichic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good luck!

3. sallymac65

sallymac65 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, how did it go at the new GP? Please say it was an improvement on the old one?

4. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hmm. I know there were other issues with this GP, but if the only issue was him insisting that you have a GP diabetic review at his surgery, then we are all in the same boat. All of us have to get a GP diabetic review, usually in addition to a hospital one. It's mandatory on the GP and they suffer penalties if you don't do it. So this is probably why he was using the strips prescription as a lever to try to force you to come in for the diabetic checkup. And he is probably relieved that you are off his books as you were refusing to do it.

As I've said elsewhere, even though it's a PITA and some time off work, I try to look on the positive side and think of it as some extra information (test results) and an extra chance of sporting problems early.

So you may get less traction with this part of your complaint to the PCT, as with the other parts of the complaint.

• Like Like x 2
  5. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Spike, nice to see you back hope you are feeling better now. :)
    Just to clarify it's not compulsory to have a diabetes review at your GP surgery. A prescription review yes as it's a legal requirement for a prescribing GP to do so.
    GP's do get paid extra for doing the diabetes reviews and these help to keep the surgery running. I just sign a disclaimer saying that I do not wish to take part, thus the practice still has the funding for me to be on their books. Problem solved. I do not have hospital checks either (my choice) It's illegal as far as I know to withhold insulin/life saving medication from someone and as test strips are in fact a life saver I would be inclined to follow through on that side of things.

• Like Like x 4
  6. calamitygayn

I agree, but....I work full time, 6 days a week. I can't afford to take time off for the same thing in quick concession when everything they need is already on computer. the hospital changed my insulin and performed kidney, hba etc so everything is there....seeing new gp for full health check tomorrow....

7. Scandichic

Scandichic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good luck! Hope it goes well! You've certainly been through the mill!

• Like Like x 2
  8. andrewkerr91

andrewkerr91 Type 1 · Active Member

I have had exactly the same problem , I had to leave my doctors practice in the end because of constant on going problems with prescriptions, and when they said they can no longer give me the correct strips for my tester and told me I had to use some other strips and was going to give me a new blood tester machine that's when I lost it and never returned. I then applied for a new doctors practice but yet had the same problem instantly, to cut a long story short I had to get my diabetic Nurse to write a letter explaining the importance that I get my tester strips, touch wood I haven't had any problems since.

9. calamitygayn

Well, so far so good with my new gp....old ones obviously had a problem with me as they caused even more problems with the change over....

10. Susan1991

Susan1991 Type 1 · Member

That's so interesting because I was using AccuChek Aviva meters until a few months ago when my surgery supplied me with a couple of replacement bricks. The biggest downside, apart from the obvious awkwardness of these things in my handbag, is that they need more blood than my previous meters. Currently doing up to 15 tests a day to try and keep on top of the situation, that's pretty sore fingers. So they said they wanted to save money on the strips and the old cost of almost £30 a tub of 50 strips has gone down to around £8.50 for them. But now they have put a hold on my prescriptions as I've been asking for them three weekly (200 strips) and they say I'm using too many even though they're much cheaper. End result? I am now having to buy extra tubs myself direct from the manufacturer. I'm just trying to look after myself and avoid the complications, but they're too busy counting the cost. I've tried explaining but they are deaf to what I say. I can't risk being without strips so feel I have no choice. I worry they might strike me off for being awkward. Some years ago I went through a bout of agoraphobia (I now think it was caused by fluctuating blood sugars) and couldn't get to the surgery. I got struck off for 'being awkward' and the doctor didn't accept that I genuinely couldn't go and he refused a house call. I'd be worried something like that would happen again. The doctors seem to hold all the power these days.

11. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Susan - I'm tagging @noblehead here, because I believe he has a pro-forma letter that has been useful to some in addressing the strip quantity issue for T1s.

Good luck with it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Susan1991

Susan1991 Type 1 · Member

Thank you :)

13. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook