So bleeping angry with my gp!!!!!!

calamitygayn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After the nurses at my gp surgery telling me that I know more about diabetes than them and another one telling me to keep my bloids at 2.....they referred me to a consultant at the hospital for my reviews etc....
Just picked up my prescription and v was told that my test stri p s will no longer be on repeat prescription until I've been to the nurse for a diabetic review! I have tried calling gp and receptionist said it has nothing to do with her and I need to put my reasons in writing!
Surely seeing a consultant is a review and shouldn't waste valuable nurses time having 2 reviews. ...I also can't see a nurse for 3 weeks as they are fully booked for their diabetiec appointments. ..how the hell am I meant to cope with no blood test strips? ????????
Can the gp do this? Surely they can't withold them from me? ???
Any advice? ???
Thank you x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I think you need to complain and loudly too, I didn't think they could do that to type 1's. A severe dereliction of duty.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
After the nurses at my gp surgery telling me that I know more about diabetes than them and another one telling me to keep my bloids at 2.....they referred me to a consultant at the hospital for my reviews etc....
Just picked up my prescription and v was told that my test stri p s will no longer be on repeat prescription until I've been to the nurse for a diabetic review! I have tried calling gp and receptionist said it has nothing to do with her and I need to put my reasons in writing!
Surely seeing a consultant is a review and shouldn't waste valuable nurses time having 2 reviews. ...I also can't see a nurse for 3 weeks as they are fully booked for their diabetiec appointments. ..how the hell am I meant to cope with no blood test strips? ????????
Any advice? ???
Thank you x

Type 1's must have test strips. It's unacceptable and downright dangerous for you to go with out, as you could end up seriously ill not by not being able to test. If you can, please go down to your GP's surgery and tell them face to face that you are entitled to test strips as you are type 1 and it's a matter of urgency. See another GP, demand to see the Practice manger,see a nurse (any nurse) or talk to any pharmacist any chemist about your predicament, as test strips are a life line. You must have them. It's an absolute necessity.. Please take care and would you keep us updated.

Reactions: 18 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Ring them tell them you are looking at legal action you want to speat to practice manager ...now and take it from there. Also l am sure Nice guidelines can be quoted.

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ring your surgery up and book an appointment with your gp, you can't manage type 1 diabetes without test strips and withdrawing them is potentially dangerous, also however told you to keep your bloods at 2 needs their head looked at.

Hopefully you'll have a better care team when you switch over to the hospital team.

Reactions: 11 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with all that's been said before. I have had the same argument when my heart consultant reviewed my heart meds. My meds had been reviewed but I hadn't officially had a 'medicine review' at the surgery, so couldn't get a repeat prescription, because the computer said 'No'. As everyone else had said you need the test strips, but they aren't really medicine are they, so why can't rules be broken in this instance? Pathetic.

calamitygayn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. The nurse that told me to keep it at 2 has since lost her job. The real danger was I took my new partner with me and she told him that if I complained that I was on hypo, not to believe me or allow me sweets! Stupid woman. However, I didn't complain I just re educated my now husband. ...receptionist has just refused to do anything and insist I put it in writing. Which I have now. They can't make a diabetic appointment for 3 weeks! !!! Have seen my chemist who has said that he will not let me go without the strips and told me to speak to the practice manager tomorrow. He agreed that its wrong. Im so upset. This has never happened and I agree it's dangerous. Im also shocked. ..Thanks for your advice. Will let you all know what happens tomorrow. It's ridiculous and tempted to seek legal advice or the newspapers! !!!!

Reactions: 6 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
The receptionist is not a medic of any sort and needs to go the same way as the nurse. Your pharmacist sounds lovely like mine :)
I have revised ring comment l would go to the surgery tomorrow and throw a wobbly and get in with the head dr and practice manager when they open.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Go the sneaky route - you could make an appointment with your doctor as if it is just a normal appointment.
Also phone the diabetes clinic you attend at the hospital.
I had problems in the past and my hospital DN stepped in and it was resolved pretty quickly.
Another one my dad used to use was say well I'll have to go to casualty then.
I've actually bought a very cheap SD Codefree meter off Amazon with cheaper than normal test strips for emergencies when I've forgotten to put in a repeat. Not ideal I know but it tides me over.
If you are desperate the chemist will sell meters that normally come with 10 free strips.

Good luck tomorrow - I always feel like I'm begging when I'm in situations like that. It really is sh@@ that you gave to go through this.
Mrs Vimes

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
If the doctors is anything like mine you won't be able to get in for a few weeks!

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What an awful situation. Why don't the get it costs less to give you test strips than it does to treat ANY complications you might suffer from when they've not allowed you the test strips, and the compensation when you sue them for malpractice!

Hope you get it sorted out tomorrow. Good luck

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Any advice? ???
Thank you x

GP has absolutely NO right to do that - print off this official letter and take it into your GP - ask for a quote for the press on why you have been denied your test strips and then phone the papers!! https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...inger-prick-tests-in-managing-type-1-diabetes

Reactions: 4 people

jazglo

Wow, I am so sorry you have to deal with this. What a terrible system! Makes me very thankful to be in Australia where I can buy as many subsidised test strips as I need at any time.

Reactions: 4 people

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that calling the diabetes centre and talking to your consultant and asking them to fax the gp surgery about prescription you should have works wonders as I have done in the past when having problems

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, Simvistatin.

calamitygayn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They have done that previously as they were shocked that I only got one pot at a time. They faxed them saying I need 5 at a time. I got the 5 after the fax......and then been fighting since. ...im tired of fighting. :'(

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is appalling.:mad:

Given the track record of this practice, have you considered changing to another, if there is one near enough to you ?

If you do, kick up stink before you leave. Life is stressful enough without having to deal with bad service and incompetence.

Best of luck!

Signy

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's just occurred to me...I wonder if this has anything to do with the decision to standardise meters?

I had something similar at my practice when I was told that the so called DN (who told me "I don't know much about Type1") would issue me with a brick like approved meter and strips instead of my repeat strips. I am fortunate enough to have read an internal memo for my Health Authority that states that if a Type 1 states a preference and /or reason for using a meter that is not one of the "approved three" ,then they should do so unless there is a sound reason not to.

They don't appear to be making this information available to the people it affects, sadly.

Signy

chatterton

Hi there,I was just reading your article and thought that if you ever have problems with you healthcare/equipment you should visit the department of healthy website,As I have had several argument which had led me to me seeking legal advice,As we need the right tools to manage our condition as we didn't ask to be type1

Reactions: 7 people