So confused

Mandy!

Hi I’ve only been diagnosed six months ago and it’s all very worrisome
My recent hbac1 is 6.7 but my daily readings are around 10 fasting and 13 in the evening
I’m trying to watch what I eat but I feel dreadfully fatigued all the time
Is this normal I’m not on any meds for this

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
My recent hbac1 is 6.7 but my daily readings are around 10 fasting and 13 in the evening

If you're consistently getting those glucose levels then please speak to medical professional as you may need medication to help control the highs.
I assume that you've been managing on diet alone?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You have insulin resistance so your blood glucose is spilling out into the blood rather than into the muscles/liver.
Your body's cells aren't getting the fuel they need and this can cause fatigue.
Getting a fasting bg of 10 suggests that you haven't been able to make the necessary dietary changes to reduce your insulin resistance. You may not have been given any advice but there are things you can do safely such as cutting back on sugar and starchy foods replacing them with meat, fish, eggs, cheese and nuts with plenty of natural fat to keep your full.
13 in the evening could simply reflect what you've eaten in the preceding meal if that was less than 4 hours prior?
The next step may be to take metformin (prescribed to reduce the production of glucose by the liver) but you will see plenty of success stories on here from people who made dietary changes and added a little exercise in. Early on in your diagnosis is a great time to make chagnes and reverse out of this!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Mandy! , would you like to tell us a bit more about what you're eating?
Many of our members found their levels improved by a lot when they adjusted their diet to eat less carbs, it may be you can improve things that way too.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi and welcome

I'll guess you have been diagnosed as T2?
It's really all about food and what you are eating and when.

Most of us have discovered that T2's are effectively "allergic" to carbohydrates in their diet. By cutting them out we can manage blood sugar levels effectively, many of us without medication.

What kind of things are you eating when you get your fairly high levels?

Mandy!

A typical example of my day is no breakfast
Scrambled egg on whole meal toast,peach and fruit yoghurt
Chicken and pasta and my downfall is a bag of crisps in the evening I really eat anything sugary

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chicken and pasta and my downfall is a bag of crisps in the evening I really eat anything sugary

OK so no breakfast is good.. replaced with a coffee or something?

Whole meal toast not great maybe have some bacon instead?
peach and fruit yoghurt both pretty carby depending on brand of yog.

Pasta for many of us is a no-no replaced with above ground grown veg and crisps you already know are bad so...
Cheese would be great or maybe some berries with double cream ?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The thing is, all carbs convert to sugar in your body.
So you might want to have a look at the carbs you eat, likely high carbs in the food you mention are the toast, the peach, the fruit yoghurt and the pasta. And the crisps of course. Do you like pork scratchings by any chance to substitute the crisps?

You obviously have a glucose meter, so you could use it to test right before a meal and two hours after, and see how that meal affected your blood glucose.
If it went up by more than 2, you might want to consider having fewer carbs next time.

Here are two links, one on the basics of diabetes: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
And one a blog on food by one of our members: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/
I think you'll find both very usefull!

Reactions: LalaALH

Iona May

I'm newly diagnosed too. Do you have a diabetes x-pert course in your area. I have been on it for the past 4 weeks and its incredibly helpful. One of the big takeaways for me is to think of it as blood glucose and not blood sugar. Then if you think that bread, pasta, potatoes, rice etc all convert to glucose you know they arnt helpful for a diabetic to eat. We were also taught to avoid all the "ose" glucose, sucrose, lactose, fructose or eat them in small quantities as they all increase blood glucose.