Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
What tests did they run? An hba1c can still be normal in the early stages. I wouldn't be happy with a fasting of above 7.
@ExtremelyW0rried , the child is under medical care and causes are being investigated. The op is worried enough as it is, please let her get medical support for her son without adding to worry.

Clare92

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It was this morning I took that as soon as he strolled down the stairs at 6.30, hadn’t eaten nothing since 6:30 which was when he had his tea. And I believe so that was that test he had. The doctor did say on the phone this morning, when Harley had his blood taken had he eaten breakfast and I said yeah around 3 hours before and he just said ‘hmmm okay’ and that was it.

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@ExtremelyW0rried , the child is under medical care and causes are being investigated. The op is worried enough as it is, please let her get medical support for her son without adding to worry.

I appreciate that but I've heard of too many children where diagnosis was delayed and they've been very unwell. Hopefully this isn't the case here but I think dismissing a fasting sugar of 7mmol and the symptoms the child is showing may be cause for further investigation re t1.
As I said hopefully it isn't - but gps aren't always hot on t1 unfortunately.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I appreciate that but I've heard of too many children where diagnosis was delayed and they've been very unwell. Hopefully this isn't the case here but I think dismissing a fasting sugar of 7mmol and the symptoms the child is showing may be cause for further investigation re t1.
As I said hopefully it isn't - but gps aren't always hot on t1 unfortunately.
They aren't dismissing the fasting reading of 7, they are exploring all the possibilities. It would be so wrong to get fixated on T1 only and then find it's something else altogether.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Clare92 ,

Those meter readings taken from your lad look good. Please also bear in mind home meter readings are not always accurate, & can read a little higher by as much as 15%?? (someone please pull this up if you feel i'm out on the maff.)

I wish you all the best in the investigation on what ails the youngling..

Reactions: zand

Clare92

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Jaylee Thanks so much for the advice, we went to docs after school and they going to run some more tests to find out why he’s experiencing the symptoms he is. He’s back to docs on the 1st so hopefully have some answers then we can start to move forward from there! Positive thinking