So grateful

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My six-month blood test results are back and I'm chuffed to be relegated to prediabetic again at 46. I expected to be pegged at 48 since my home testing seemed to show a gentle upward trend, although the lows and highs are getting closer together. So to have dropped a couple of points is great and thank you all for your support and advice.
So onward and upward (or downward?) with LCHF and perhaps a little more attention to exactly how many carbs I eat of a day.

My cholesterol experiment has had mixed fortunes, after I stopped statins six months ago at a level of 5.1. The non-fasting (random) test revealed:
Total cholesterol 7.0
HDL 2.18
Non-HDL 4.82
TC/HDL 3.2
Non-HDL has replaced LDL and without that I don't know how to calculate the trigs.
Needless to say I've been summoned to the headmaster's study, sorry, GP's surgery on Monday no doubt to be told to get back on the little oval pills.
I'm still inclined before doing that to ask for a fasting test to see if it's any different. Also I would like a proper interpretation of those figures, if someone can please oblige. They're such a mixture.

Reactions: 23 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My six-month blood test results are back and I'm chuffed to be relegated to prediabetic again at 46. I expected to be pegged at 48 since my home testing seemed to show a gentle upward trend, although the lows and highs are getting closer together. So to have dropped a couple of points is great and thank you all for your support and advice.
So onward and upward (or downward?) with LCHF and perhaps a little more attention to exactly how many carbs I eat of a day.

My cholesterol experiment has had mixed fortunes, after I stopped statins six months ago at a level of 5.1. The non-fasting (random) test revealed:
Total cholesterol 7.0
HDL 2.18
Non-HDL 4.82
TC/HDL 3.2
Non-HDL has replaced LDL and without that I don't know how to calculate the trigs.
Needless to say I've been summoned to the headmaster's study, sorry, GP's surgery on Monday no doubt to be told to get back on the little oval pills.
I'm still inclined before doing that to ask for a fasting test to see if it's any different. Also I would like a proper interpretation of those figures, if someone can please oblige. They're such a mixture.
So pleased for you Dee!
Couldn't have been better news.
Keep it going mate!

Reactions: 4 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Total cholesterol 7.0
HDL 2.18
Non-HDL 4.82
TC/HDL 3.2

Try this converter.
http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

Well done

Reactions: 2 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Well done. Low carbing is such a big life change but you've proved that it's worth it. :)

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Well done! I love your posts too.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all. My GP is ok to let me go another 6 months without statins since the high HDL score and good TC/HDL ratio keeps me below the high-risk category despite the overall figure. (My sister in law in Norway has been around 11 for ever and isn't regarded as high risk over there.)
The surgery has no idea how I'm managing my blood sugar and seems not to be bothered as long as it ain't going up and I'm happy. Which of course I am.
The first thing my GP says when I go in is "How are you?" This used to seem a bit of a joke ("No doctor, you're supposed to tell me") but I now see she actually means it since I've chosen to take responsibility for this part of my life.
She admitted today that the health service tends to group T2s under the heading overweight and with rubbish control. I like to think she can cross me off for another 6 months and deal with the next patient.
There are a lot of sick people out there and I'm not one of them *:)
* EDIT Nor sure about that last sentence. It may not be appropriate so it may disappear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Deejay, I'm really pleased for you. :)

The Non-HDL should be under 3.4 and the TC/HDL under 4, and HDL should be 1.2 to 3.5.
However, it is the Trigs that are the baddies, and you don't mention those.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The Non-HDL should be under 3.4 and the TC/HDL under 4, and HDL should be 1.2 to 3.5.
However, it is the Trigs that are the baddies, and you don't mention those.
Thanks for the non-HDL range. I'll add that to my reference figures.
I haven't got the trigs and I can't work them out since they don't give the LDL any more.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the non-HDL range. I'll add that to my reference figures.
I haven't got the trigs and I can't work them out since they don't give the LDL any more.

Perhaps next time your test is due you could ask for the trigs to be tested? I don't know why some doctors don't do this automatically as they are so important.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps next time your test is due you could ask for the trigs to be tested? I don't know why some doctors don't do this automatically as they are so important.
Quite. My GP asked for a full spectrum (or whatever it's called) cholesterol reading and we assumed it would include trigs. Oops!

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congrats on your HbA1c number! I'm afraid I don't know much about cholesterol, but my GP told me that although my figures were slightly elevated, the fact that I was eating low carb (i.e. more animal fats) accounted for that and she wouldn't have to prescribe me statins.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DeejayR: Well done you! Have a couple of gold stars from me! :p

Robbity
gold_star.png gold_star.png

Attachments

• gold_star.png
    gold_star.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 237
Reactions: 6 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I've fixed that for you now - but I reckon you've probably graduated from Diabetic Kindergarten now with those results! :D

Robbity