So here's where i am.... .

FrancisW112

Essentially HBa1C has been monitored as its been sitting at 6.2-6.4. This latest (last week) reading it's 6.5. So i'm looing at things, and given I've already got a suspected auto immune Thyroid problem, and Alopecia, it makes sense that this diabetic issue likely is too.
So my query is this. When to treat? much i'm not keen i think i'd rather get this level below 6% for as long as possible before insulin starts off.
What are common meds? i assume Metformin to start with, but do any of the SGL2 inhibitors do much?

Thanks

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Essentially HBa1C has been monitored as its been sitting at 6.2-6.4. This latest (last week) reading it's 6.5. So i'm looing at things, and given I've already got a suspected auto immune Thyroid problem, and Alopecia, it makes sense that this diabetic issue likely is too.
So my query is this. When to treat? much i'm not keen i think i'd rather get this level below 6% for as long as possible before insulin starts off.
What are common meds? i assume Metformin to start with, but do any of the SGL2 inhibitors do much?

Thanks
Unless 'm way off again with understanding numbers I'm not used to, you're not that high... Insulin isn't on the radar yet, far from it even, and though metformin could help some, it is quite possibly not even necessary. An adjustment in diet could get you back to the normal range in no time, as right now, you're still in the prediabetic range. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html should help some, just keep in mind that if you're dealing with thyroid issues as well, veg like cauliflower and broccoli can make it worse, so maybe avoid those as rice-replacements. Otherwise... Just cut the carbs some and Bob's your uncle.

Reactions: gemlou84

FrancisW112

Yes, brilliant information. i've done a bit of diet stuff over the last few years, but i haven't really seen the results i want!
Iv'e got weight down, but sugar control, especially after lunch needs improvement. I've got used to the elevated afternoon glucose fatigue especially if i'm 10 Mmols or above.
Metformin though, is doing something. To be honest, i'd rather medicate and keep better control, alongside diet and increasing activity, and keep normal rather that persistant just above normal levels

Patricia Mai

Thanks

Patricia Mai

Please get a GADA antibodies check to test for LADA I have had autoimmune thyroid problems for the last 50 years( thyroidectomy 40 years ago) Diabetes diagnosed 3 years ago, initial treatment with metformin did NOTHING! GADA positive and started on insulin and tablets. Control sooo much better. Both parents had thyroid issues and late onset diabetes.

FrancisW112

What about eating something different for lunch than what you eat now?
yes, big impact, but still frequently seeing post meal >10Mmols. Since Metformin post meal is around 6.0Mmol so to me, much better. Feels different too, less fatigue. Arguably could have waited to go on meds but it does feel better and the right choice.

Reactions: lovinglife

FrancisW112

Please get a GADA antibodies check to test for LADA I have had autoimmune thyroid problems for the last 50 years( thyroidectomy 40 years ago) Diabetes diagnosed 3 years ago, initial treatment with metformin did NOTHING! GADA positive and started on insulin and tablets. Control sooo much better. Both parents had thyroid issues and late onset diabetes.
It's in the plan! GP needed a little persuasion but i'm 100% certain this is LADA so getting bloods to confirm is going to happen. I need another test to ensure improvement anyway and my practice diabetic nurse want's me to see her, so i better do as i'm told!!
Plan is next sample in a month or two will include Autoimmune markers.
Metformin is doing the job, for now at least. I'm finding as my glucose levels are climbing through the day i'm getting better control by morning dosing rather than at night.