So many complications!

Ricardus

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
TV
Hi. Introducing myself. Male, 62 years, 11 stone 2lbs from mid Wales. Apparently I'm prediabetic, or so my surgery informs me. Not dramatically so with a fasting reading of 5.9 - it's more about the readings, and my weight, going in the wrong direction. I am determined not to go down the diabetes road if I can possibly avoid it.

The complications: whoever's in charge blessed me with a genetic cancer syndrome that manages to cause tumours in the most bizarre of places. 12 years ago I had both adrenal glands removed due to tumours and am dependent on corticosteroids for life. 3 years ago I had a Whipple operation for pancreatic tumours, and so have parted company with half my pancreas, my gall bladder and duodenum. Now my kidneys are limbering up for some of the action.

I understand (someone here may correct me) that long term steroid use can play havoc with blood sugar and insulin, and no doubt what's left of my pancreas and digestive system are none too happy with the situation either. I have to take Creon to improve nutrient absorption.

Although not overweight I feel that I do need to lose a stone of lard and halt the insidious weight gain you get with steroids - and at the same time sort out my blood sugar. On the face of it a low carb diet is the way forward. Unfortunately the pancreas situation precludes the high fat side of things, and I don't want to excite my kidneys by overloading on protein. Two doses of pancreatitis are more than enough for anyone! Just a balanced calorie deficit then? Help - I can't afford to get this wrong!

So I'll be over to the low carb section in due course.

Reactions: Guzzler

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @Ricardus

That is quite a number of unpleasant knock-on consequences you have going. You have my sympathy.

We have several posters who have experienced the steroid issues, and I will tag a couple in @Sid Bonkers @JohnEGreen
And the Whipple operation means that (even though you are pre-diabetic) you may find the 3c diabetes section of the forum interesting here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/type-3c-pancreatic-diabetes.73/
We also have a few people with adrenal gland problems so I will tag a couple in, in case they can offer any help. @CarbsRok @Lesleywo

Hope that helps!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes it must be difficult for you having had some surgery and steroids. I thought fat metabolism was handled by the gall bladder and has little to do with the pancreas; I may be wrong?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi and welcome to the forum. You seem to in the right frame of mind for some homework and I don't envy the cross referencing you are going to have to do with such a list of complications. I think you are looking at a fairly tailor made diet but for advice and support you couldn't wish for a better place to be. Good luck.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi. Introducing myself. Male, 62 years, 11 stone 2lbs from mid Wales. Apparently I'm prediabetic, or so my surgery informs me. Not dramatically so with a fasting reading of 5.9 - it's more about the readings, and my weight, going in the wrong direction. I am determined not to go down the diabetes road if I can possibly avoid it.

The complications: whoever's in charge blessed me with a genetic cancer syndrome that manages to cause tumours in the most bizarre of places. 12 years ago I had both adrenal glands removed due to tumours and am dependent on corticosteroids for life. 3 years ago I had a Whipple operation for pancreatic tumours, and so have parted company with half my pancreas, my gall bladder and duodenum. Now my kidneys are limbering up for some of the action.

I understand (someone here may correct me) that long term steroid use can play havoc with blood sugar and insulin, and no doubt what's left of my pancreas and digestive system are none too happy with the situation either. I have to take Creon to improve nutrient absorption.

Although not overweight I feel that I do need to lose a stone of lard and halt the insidious weight gain you get with steroids - and at the same time sort out my blood sugar. On the face of it a low carb diet is the way forward. Unfortunately the pancreas situation precludes the high fat side of things, and I don't want to excite my kidneys by overloading on protein. Two doses of pancreatitis are more than enough for anyone! Just a balanced calorie deficit then? Help - I can't afford to get this wrong!

So I'll be over to the low carb section in due course.
Welcome to the forum @Ricardus, I hope you can find what you are looking for. Good luck.

Ricardus

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
TV
Thank you all, and for the contacts @Brunneria. I'll be heading over to the low carb and pancreatic sections over the weekend.

I am in to the second (induction) week of a low carb plan, but refuse to eat all that fat. As far as I can see it is only there to make up the numbers, i.e. 100%, and there is no metabolic necessity for it in that volume? But I'll discuss that in the appropriate forum.