Sobering thought.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Watching Louis Theroux's BBC documentary "a different brain" (aired on Sunday.)
Mostly head injury patients affected by car accidents & a fall from a horse causing changes in personality as a result..

One woman in "care" for the last 15 years (she claimed it was a fall.) turned out talking to relatives, was the frightening result of a hypoglycaemic coma.. Her friends initially thought she was just sleeping.? The trauma left her with antisocial/inappropriate behaviour which could find her vulnerable in wider society..

http://www.thedtgroup.org/brain-injury/louis-theroux-a-different-brain/

....& I just thought one would just come round if treated when found!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There was another topic recently about this. The research done on monkeys really doesn't paint a very bright picture.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
To be in that frame of mind, where you think that death is the only answer must be a terrifying place.

Yes it must be, an awful turn of events.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I saw the programme too. She had purposely overdosed on her insulin, hadn't she. To be in that frame of mind, where you think that death is the only answer must be a terrifying place. And now she doesn't even have any recollection of it. Very thought provoking.

Indeed they did say it was an overdose. I didn't wanna push "that one" out there.
The reason being?
Her marriage had failed. However her mum said she was on the skids after the breakup.
But I got the impression she was always a "D in denial" & possibly just hypo unaware..? It's easy to say "overdose" when the woman's background was like that..

Hence the woman's misconception about how her brain injury occurred?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I watched it too and the one the week before about the people struggling with alcoholism - both were heartbreaking. I think Louis Theroux is an amazing guy with a real skill and a wonderful way with people - even some of the evil people he has met. The empathy and respect he has shown in this latest series is rare to see

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Being hyperinsulinaemic and hypoglycaemic unaware as I was, is very bad.
How I never ended up in hospital baffles me now.
I call it my hypo hell.

I never saw the programme and I'm not going to say if she was in denial or not or she did it intentionally.

When the glucose goes and the amount of insulin in your blood is too much, your brain can be suffering from a lack of glucose. And your liver doesn't dump glycogen, then the outcome is Hypoglycaemia.
That's the reason for the medical profession to advise high sugar treatments for the hypos. Because most doctors would rather have you above normal than below normal blood glucose levels.