Software issues with pumps

mlm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had an alarm go off on my Metronic pump which is a software issue. This is the second time in less than a year. Each time it means I need a new pump. Last year my pump was old and out of warranty so I wasn't totally surprised. But my current pump is still less than a year old. Metronic said if it happened again they would have to investigate how I was using it? If I was taking it in high risk areas? I work in a hospital and the only area I think would be high risk is MRI. With this pump I've not gone into MRI. In the past when I've had to I've removed the pump for the short time I was there. Anyone got any ideas what other areas I could be going into that would put the software of the pump at risk?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Induction hobs?

mlm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On cookers? I have an induction Hob. How could this effect my pump software?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Have a quick look at your manual, info should be in there. If it mentions induction hobs then don't tell Medtronic, as pump warranty will be invalid.

mlm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nothing about induction jobs in the manual. Mentions MRI, CT and X-ray- all which I knew about and it hasn't been exposed too. The manual says it should withstand common electromagnetic interference.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Induction hobs don't alter software but apparently can affect heart gadgets and insulin pumps. We had induction hob put in 2 years ago. I never knew of warnings until I read the instructions for the hob.... And they say do not use if you have pump or a heart gadget..

I still use mine but not often. Hubby took over hob use...and it is always turned off at mains after.

mlm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks. I'll have to dig out info on my hob. I've had it for 9 years and didn't know it could affect my pump.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks. I'll have to dig out info on my hob. I've had it for 9 years and didn't know it could affect my pump.

Snap!! Didn't know until the Induction was fitted.. Too late then to change it! However, it is a good excuse to avoid cooking...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'll take a photo of my warning.. From my hob.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1430342430.382866.jpg

mlm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Feeling really silly now checked the instruction book for my hob and it's a ceramic hob not induction. That shows how much interest I take in the kitchen. Still a bit clueless about the pump, maybe it's just chance I've had the same error reading twice.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
My SAT nav has the warning that it could affect insulin pumps!

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well it may be a warning to others.. As it wasn't mentioned in my pump stuff!!

However, It brings me to mention that Accuchek today brought out warnings to spirit & combo people on error messages from cartridges not being loaded properly and we have all had to sign that we follow the instructions. I had 2 fatal errors on my old combo pumps and Accuchek put out a safety warning that certain pumps could come up with fatal errors and people with specific serial numbers could experience this. At no point did they blame me!!! That is pretty appaling really

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hope somebody else will come along with help. Personally I don't think its you!!