Some advice please

johnj13

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes earlier this month and was prescribed Metformin 500mg twice a day. I began taking the tablets on October 18th and at the outset my blood glucose readings ranged from 13-15 before breakfast and from 11-13 before dinner. Since then I have managed to get the evening level down to between 8-9 but I am struggling to get it below 10 in the morning. My nurse wanted to increase the dosage to three times a day , but because I wanted to work more on my diet , lifestyle , and weight , we agreed to leave it as it was.
Two questions. Firstly , would the level of reduction that I have achieved with my blood glucose so far be considered acceptable given the time I have been on medication although understand it needs to be lower. Secondly , would the fact that I tend to eat between 7.30-8.00 in the evening and go to bed between 10.00-10.30 in the evening be a contributory factor to the levels I wake up to. Any advice welcomed.

Kindest regards

JJ

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm another low carber and would advocate it to anyone. I am now almost carb free, with some fruit. My BG is around 4.5 - 5.1 at any time average 5.1 and I've lost weight and feel well.
It was hard to begin with, but I got down gradually and now it's just part of my lifestyle. I think it's particularly helpful to type 2 diabetics. Something I have been toying with, but it' hard with limited test strips, is " eating to the meter" . In other words, checking BG before eating and adjusting the meal to that reading. In my case over 5 means NO visible carbs, not even an apple. Below 4 means a low carb crispbread would be OK. I've become an expert in carb spotting.
I am a good cook and prepare most of our food from scratch and have found low carb variants on many family favourites.