Some help on foods (not low carbing - yet!! -

whatashock

Diagnosed T2 earlier this week, and I am just trying to work on 'snacks'

unfortuantely, I cannot get to see the dietician until the first week of June.

I like Wheetabix, but what can I put in it, as although I dont take sugar on anything I have, I alwasy did on Wheetabix.

I do understnad about the low carbing, but I am waiting a bit as I think it will be too much of a chnage.

Teh problem I have is my work life. I spend over half my day in the car, and have immediately given up all the fastfood, but am just looking for some ideas of what I can get. I am very lucky that I get a £5 lunch budget.

Today, I went into Asda, and bought some bar-b-q chicken thighs (£2.00) and had three of them. Was this OK, as it was in a sauce (still a bit naive)

I like M&S and know I can get cooked cold chicken.

Also, what about snacking. I am so lucky I am not a fussy eater, but wonder if there are any bars, or more exciting food, than fruit or 'nuts'

Also, any views on a malt loaf/fruit loaf?

Finally, can anybody recommend any yoghurts that are OK, as I would like a dessert

Any other ideas.

Thirsty

You could try a granulated sweetener like Splenda or Canderel with your weetabix, although weetabix does contain a lot of carbs.

Be careful with things like BBQ sauce, as many commercially produced brands contain a lot of sugar.

As for yoghurt, try the natural stuff with fresh blueberries or strawberries mixed in. Not as sweet as you'll be used to but still pleasant.

There are plenty of suitable snacks available in the supermarkets, look at things like cooked meats, salamis, shellfish, pickles, salads, olives, cheeses (in small portions).

Good luck to you, I'm sure you'll soon get to grips with the condition.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
One of my favourite snacks is Peperami. 0.6g carb per sausage and packed to be easy to carry about.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Bad news, I'm affraid... Malt Loaf (Soreen) is a whopping 65% carbohydrate! Once in a blue moon treat for me. But god - I love it with butter on!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
whatashock said:
I like Wheetabix, but what can I put in it, as although I dont take sugar on anything I have, I alwasy did on Wheetabix.
Hi Whatashock,

Rather that put something in it, you would be better putting the Weetabix in the bin. It is a very high carbohydrate food, as are all wheat-based breakfast cereals. It will send your blood sugar rocketing! If you have time in the morning try instead a couple of eggs (boiled, fried, poached, scrambled, in an omelette) and a slice of bread or toast. Instead of pure starch, which is what Weetabix is, this will give you a balanced mix of starch and protein that won't spike your blood sugar.

I do understand about the low carbing, but I am waiting a bit as I think it will be too much of a change.
Do you really mean low-carb (a diet of less than 50g carbs per day) or simply a reduction in the amount of carbs that you eat. A reduction can be achieved very easily without any major changes. In fact you would hardly notice the difference, other than being slimmer, with lower blood sugars, and feeling much fitter, but I guess that's the price we have to pay! Can you afford to wait until June before you start to take control of your diabetes?

Also, what about snacking. I am so lucky I am not a fussy eater, but wonder if there are any bars, or more exciting food, than fruit or 'nuts'. Also, any views on a malt loaf/fruit loaf?
There are loads of very healthy low-carb snack bars on the market. There is a range of Atkins bars that are highly nutricious and won't spike your blood sugar (available from Boots). Malt Loaf and Fruit Loaf are both extremely high in sugar and will wreck your blood sugar!

Finally, can anybody recommend any yoghurts that are OK, as I would like a dessert.
All supermarket yoghurts state what the carbohydrate content is. Some are very high (largely because of a high amount of sugar) and some are very low. Just look at the label and ignore anything that has 10g or more carbs per serving. Personally I find the WeightWatchers fromage frais and Shape yoghurts to be pretty good.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Patch said:
Bad news, I'm affraid... Malt Loaf (Soreen) is a whopping 65% carbohydrate! Once in a blue moon treat for me. But god - I love it with butter on!

Patch

OMG :roll:
Now you tell me.
I've just eaten half of one with butter - do I need to go to A & E ? :lol:

Ken

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Nope. but just make yourself comfy. Youmight be snoozin' any minutenow... :wink:

lucati

Dislikes
Marmite!
Meat is a good substitute for cabs, but avoid having too much red meat. Chicken is fine though. Speaking of chickens, eggs are carb free and you can do alot of things with them (making a cake, unfortunately, isn't one of them!) such a making an omlette with onions, fried, boiled, poached you name it! Vegetables, too, have much less carbohydrate that starchy foods, and are very healthy too. Try making a mixed salad such as lettuce, tomatoes, beetroot, cucumber and olives, with a vinaigrette or olive oil. Very few carbs, and will leave you feeling full! As for drinks, Ribena 'Really Light' will quench your thirst for a sugary drink yet contains virtually no carbs at all.