Some inspiration please..

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Hello all. Struggling a bit. Off food. Don't eat much but should as my Colitis doesn't like it. But I am sick of eggs, extra v olive oil etc.

Any inspiration for the Major?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Google keto followed by anything you fancy, you may get some inspiration.

Reactions: kitedoc

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all. Struggling a bit. Off food. Don't eat much but should as my Colitis doesn't like it. But I am sick of eggs, extra v olive oil etc.

Any inspiration for the Major?

What sorts of things do or did you like to eat?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Major,

Maybe refer back to what "yanked yer chain" & enticed the pallet before diagnosis. Then work on a lower carb varient there of?

Some ideas here.. https://www.dietdoctor.com

I'm not sure of your status regarding a "family unit." Is it possibly the whole separate diet from others, or maybe you are the cook?
Hey! This happens, the mind just "blanks." (it's not about a gender assigned "thing.") like in the unlikely event of a plane getting into an incident. Put the oxygen mask on yourself first before attending to others... ;)

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Mum of 2 plus husband.

I don't drink nor eat pork.

I am very busy as we all are I am juggling everything and can't keep up, but I detest cooking but unfortunately I am the cook.

I'm having a hard time with eating meat and fat in general. I am finding that everything is making me feel queasy.

I am skipping lunch which I shouldn't be doing due to my colitis but I'm not hungry and don't want to eat, breakfast is making me depressed as I can't find anything that I want to eat.

I'm so tired by the end of the day I dread the thought of cooking because I can't think.

I don't cook separate meals. I adjust them for the fam. But need quick snappy, SIMPLE meals that will get me out of the kitchen asap as I really hate being in there.

I'm crying as I write this. I'm sorry to moan but I'm worried about my eye results, I'm due at the hospital this week for other conditions, I suffer from anxiety and it sounds so stupid but all I want to do is eat a slice of toast and jam for breakfast.

Sorry rant over.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Many of the recipes on diet doctor are very quick and easy to make often short prep time and as little as 20 minutes in the oven. My family enjoy them as well.

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you thought about using a slow cooker for stews and curries, just throw in ingredients in the morning and forget for 8hrs. Your family could have spuds or rice with their meal and you could have zero carb Konjac rice or noodles with yours.

Reactions: Rachel_Brett

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Mum of 2 plus husband.

I don't drink nor eat pork.

I am very busy as we all are I am juggling everything and can't keep up, but I detest cooking but unfortunately I am the cook.

I'm having a hard time with eating meat and fat in general. I am finding that everything is making me feel queasy.

I am skipping lunch which I shouldn't be doing due to my colitis but I'm not hungry and don't want to eat, breakfast is making me depressed as I can't find anything that I want to eat.

I'm so tired by the end of the day I dread the thought of cooking because I can't think.

I don't cook separate meals. I adjust them for the fam. But need quick snappy, SIMPLE meals that will get me out of the kitchen asap as I really hate being in there.

I'm crying as I write this. I'm sorry to moan but I'm worried about my eye results, I'm due at the hospital this week for other conditions, I suffer from anxiety and it sounds so stupid but all I want to do is eat a slice of toast and jam for breakfast.

Sorry rant over.
Vegetables.
Cook them lightly every morning and leave them in their pan on cooker. Ensure you do something with them or they will go off. I bet you don't like waste?
Use frozen veg. Easier and buy a bigger freezer, if you have to but remember to rotate your bags as you only get 3mths, if that.
Frozen veg cooked whilst getting kids sorted.
Eat veg for breakfast if you fancy a stir-fry or curry or bbq seasoned. Just eat less.
Invest in cauliflower only bags in your food shopping. They are great for thickening sauces at any texture. Firmer veg or raw veg for munching/snacking on. Sit peeling fresh carrots and munch til your content.
Isn't it dairy that your condition rebukes? I'm no expert on your perfect dietary need but multivitamins with iron for us women is essential. Especially if you have bursts of no food passing your lips.

Use and abuse veg and salad.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Major Buckmaster - I'd definitely second the suggestion of a slow cooker, or a pressure cooker for meal prep. Those tend to be my sort of cooking......... Lob everything in, switch it on and give it a decent ignoring until finished!

A slow cooker can be cheap, if you don't already have one, and in a slow cooker you could do soups, casseroles, mince based meals (bolognese and the like), curries and so on. For yourself, having having those with additional veg, or for soups/curries, just additional soup or curry when the family have their rice, bread rolls or whatever.

At first it seems a bit odd having a bowl of chilli con carne (or whatever) without rice, but I soon came to realise that all the flavour is on the meat element and the rice was just a carrier; making it easier to transport a dollop of chilli from plate to mouth. Nowadays, I prefer it that way.

If you were to do something like a chicken casserole, using a whole chicken you can probably get a couple of main meals out of it, then still have the carcasse to make delicious stock, then soup.

If you have a freezer, that approach doesn't have to mean you have chilli two nights on the trot, but that you can start freezing leftovers for easy to prepare/reheat meals another day. These days we'll almost always cook enough for the meal planned, and at least one other meal, then if you don't feel like cooking one night (or as in this house - no "big" cooking on a Saturday), it's just a grab out of the freezer, and you know exactly what you're eating.

It can be tough at the outset, but once you're "over the hump", it just becomes the new normal.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Thank you all for your replies. I do have all of the above kitchen accessories but hate using them lol.

I have made a few decisions. I am giving up work for a while. I can't do everything and I need to reduce my stress levels and focus on my health for a while.

Reactions: kitedoc and Prem51

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hopefully with that time you can experiment and learn some new quick techniques/meals for when you return. A spell to recharge and take care of yourself sounds ideal for you right now.

Reactions: kitedoc and Prem51

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A slow cooker can be cheap, if you don't already have one, and in a slow cooker you could do soups, casseroles, mince based meals (bolognese and the like), curries and so on. For yourself, having having those with additional veg, or for soups/curries, just additional soup or curry when the family have their rice, bread rolls or whatever.
I also cook pork chops or steaks, and beef steaks in mine and a low carb pizza on occasion.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/low-carb-slow-cooker

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also cook pork chops or steaks, and beef steaks in mine and a low carb pizza on occasion.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/low-carb-slow-cooker

These days, I use the electric pressure cooker more; like a fast, slow cooker. Right now there is a massive beef casserole in there. It has just finished it's cook cycle, but can mature in there until we're ready to eat later (a bit like leaving it in the slow cooker). I've prepped early today as we're waiting for the washing machine repair man to call. [sigh]

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Hopefully with that time you can experiment and learn some new quick techniques/meals for when you return. A spell to recharge and take care of yourself sounds ideal for you right now.

Yes I think you're right. It is essential that I sort myself out before I lose control! I have to complete my current projects and I won't be taking on any new work for a while.

I suppose I have to get to grips with the kitchen Oh dear. I want a cook!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I think you're right. It is essential that I sort myself out before I lose control! I have to complete my current projects and I won't be taking on any new work for a while.

I suppose I have to get to grips with the kitchen Oh dear. I want a cook!

I hear you. About 3 months in I felt exactly as you do now. I hated having to cook from scratch all the time. I wanted quick food. I wanted to cook one meal not endless variations. Actually I wanted not to cook at all. I already hated the kitchen having a carb monster vegetarian husband with enormous appetite and 3 ravenous teenage sons one of which is even more nutrient obsessed than me into weights but all have genuine different likes and dislikes.

I’m slowly pulling myself out of the food hole by experimenting more and having more variety. Sadly it means more cooking but I’m not hating it as much as I was. I think it’s part of the readjusting mindsets that comes with accepting a drug free diabetic life mean so having to do this. It’s my choice. I could choose drugs and complications but I don’t. I do like the weight loss though :)

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
I hear you. About 3 months in I felt exactly as you do now. I hated having to cook from scratch all the time. I wanted quick food. I wanted to cook one meal not endless variations. Actually I wanted not to cook at all. I already hated the kitchen having a carb monster vegetarian husband with enormous appetite and 3 ravenous teenage sons one of which is even more nutrient obsessed than me into weights but all have genuine different likes and dislikes.

I’m slowly pulling myself out of the food hole by experimenting more and having more variety. Sadly it means more cooking but I’m not hating it as much as I was. I think it’s part of the readjusting mindsets that comes with accepting a drug free diabetic life mean so having to do this. It’s my choice. I could choose drugs and complications but I don’t. I do like the weight loss though :)

Thank you.

Yes weight loss is always good lol. I agree with you, I don't want to be on meds etc. I think everything is just coming to a head and I feel like exploding. I suspect everyone here is or has gone through it many times!

I guess my body is adjusting to the different food choices. I think that must be why Im feeling queasy a lot.

Rachel_Brett

Thank you all for your replies. I do have all of the above kitchen accessories but hate using them lol.

I have made a few decisions. I am giving up work for a while. I can't do everything and I need to reduce my stress levels and focus on my health for a while.

I love my pressure king pro cos it cooks everything all at one time. There are lots of all in one cookers. Have a look and see what one you fancy. Cook what you love, and three, just play.... I mean if you are taking time off, go out and have some fun, wonder around some markets, and see what types of veggies/stuff you can pick up. If that scares you, buy frozen, as it actually has more vitamins in it... I also buy frozen berries, etc., because it can monitor how much of them I prepare rather than throw then away a lot. Great for treats with yoghurts... A little trick I heard, if you eat fat with sugar/carbs, it can slow down the absorption of said sugar and excrete it before it lays down to fat. Only as a treat mind.... but should stop you feeling guilty, which is the biggest problem that everyone has following a new regime.