something to keep me going

tango

Dislikes
negative people
has anyone got any advise for me.
As part of my job i can be out in the middle of nowhere for long periods of time. I always carry a bag with me which contains BM monitor, chocolate, lucozade (drink + Tablets). If my BM is low i will take something, but obviously all these things that i carry are quick and short acting. All the advice that i have had so far is that you correct your lows with sugar and then eat something long acting like toast. My problem is that it is totally impractical for me to carry bread as im on "call out" and never know day in day out when im going to be called out. Does anyone know of a food stuff that would provide me with the carbs i need that is in packet form and with a relatively long shelf life. oh and by the way my bag gets a hammering so crisps and all things delicate are out of the question.

KimSuzanne

Could you pack some digestives in a plastic box or alternatively a tube of pringles and when their empty find some biscuits that would fit inside the tube to prevent them becoming saw dust?

jonny12

My son always has individual cereal bars with him.Find them in the cereal isle or biscuit isle of any supermarket.

tango

Dislikes
negative people
thank you both,
i can certainly try them. i think that the pringles might work if i stuff the box with tissues so that they dont rattle around.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I'm not sure its good to be nibbling on carbs. Try nuts, dried apricots, cubes of reduced fat cheese, along with with small amounts of the biscuits.

jonny12

Sorry if I have misunderstood. I thought you were asking for a snack after a hypo,something to have after the lucozade.
My son snacks on pepparami sticks, celery sticks or cubes of cheese.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Well if I remember rightly the Roman army marched with dried fruit.How about dried fruit and nuts? If you pack them in a plastic container they will last a good while before going 'foosty'.I've done this myself and it works quite well.

donnamum

If you go for the buscuit option, Asda sell small round plastic tubs that fit 6 digestive biscuits in. They fit so snuggly they dont rattle or get broken. My daughter doesn't leave home without it.

I'm not sure its good to be nibbling on carbs. Try nuts, dried apricots, cubes of reduced fat cheese, along with with small amounts of the biscuits.
I am confused shouldn't you have a carb snack, After your hypo remedy ( lucozade).

Donna

chocoholic

Well if I remember rightly the Roman army marched with dried fruit.How about dried fruit and nuts?

:lol: :lol: I don't know why, that's really tickled me. I just have visions of the Roman army bowling along and suddenly diving into their pockets saying "Raisins anyone? Peanuts?" I know it's more likely than them passing round the Kit-Kat Chunky's or Maltesers but for some reason it just really amused me. (I know, I've an odd sense of humour!).
I'm off to do battle with the bedclothes. "Macadamia nut anyone?" :lol:

lionrampant

Somehow this thread turned into a Monty Python sketch. :lol:

Try taking small nutty snack bars as has been suggested (but remember to check "of which sugars"). Alternatively digestive biscuits...

You know something I had as a child, my mother often made for hypos: Honey sandwiches. The honey would rocket you up, the bread would be long lasting. Add a couple of squares of chocolate and you're laughing.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
lionrampant said:
Somehow this thread turned into a Monty Python sketch. :lol:

Try taking small nutty snack bars as has been suggested (but remember to check "of which sugars"). Alternatively digestive biscuits...

You know something I had as a child, my mother often made for hypos: Honey sandwiches. The honey would rocket you up, the bread would be long lasting. Add a couple of squares of chocolate and you're laughing.

Didn't they drip and get very messy?!