Something to suck on

broads

Before I was diagnosed in Sept 08 I used to like sucking on a boiled sweet, won't advertise which one if I had a dry or tickly throat. I don't suppose for one minute anyone knows of anything I can suck on now do they? Small issue I know but I do miss it.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Read the thread title and thought :shock: , time to do some moderatin'!

Panic over. Oh yes, see if you can track down some packs of Ricola, a small Swiss boiled sweet. They are sugar free (some maltitol, but it seems to have little effect on me) and come in a variety of flavours. I'd recommend Lemon & Mint. Many pharmacists seem to stock them. They're a bit pricey (~£1.50 per box) but might be what you're looking for.

fergus

Reactions: lorraine95

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've seen those sugar free sweets in chemists, they're just like normal boiled sweets (apart from the sugar!).

What useful websites Chocfish, I had no idea you could get so many things that are sugar free or low carb!

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
you can get boiled sucky sweets form M&S as well... their own brand... strawberry, butterscotch, all sorts... they're also sugar free!

ChocFish

Cameraman I am sorry I dont know the answers, I have never bought any of those sweets, all I know is that they are very popular with fellow diabetics including the members of the self-help group that I attend.

Maybe you can email the sites or manufacturers for further information?

All the best

Karen

Shortbread

Dislikes
Assumptions, arrogance, bad service
Hi there.............I fond the Marks and Spencers ones, they are only about 67 pence for a pack and the butterscotch are delicious!!!

However on reading the back of the pack even though sugar free, they have about 45 G of carbs in a pack...........and about 115 calories!!

Now I can quite easily eat half a pack in a day at work, if I'm on a low carb diet......are these advisable???

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Broads,
Chuba Chups lollies are sugar free, and after you've sucked the lolly some have chewing gum in the middle, not just for kids :D and come in a range of flavours. I'd need to look for the ingediants and calorie content for you, but it can't be much, as my son happily has them.
Suzi x

mikey97

Hi buy my 11 year old son sugar free wrethers originals,which he seems happy to eat as he loved them before he was diagnosed with type 1 last year,so was glad to find the suger free ones.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
You could try "Tunes" but they are 96% carb - isomalt & sucralose - 36 g carb in a 37 g packet. I have the occasional one for medicinial purposes or before I sing.

You could try sucking on a button or a brazil nut ...

samcogle

My sons girlfriend bought me some boots diabetic sweets that taste like werthers originals. they are very nice but it does have the usual warning on that they may cause upset stomachs.

Sweet3x

Cameraman said:
ChocFish said:

They don't give the sugar content on the first one? and the second is unsuitable for low GI? anyone know what sugar content on the first ones maybe?

If there is no carbs in the sweets, there is unlikely to be any sugar in the product. Unless you were referring to other products.
The first paage states that ALL the products on this site are SUITABLE FOR DIABETICS, other low glycaemic dieters (eg GI & GL diets), and for anybody wanting to eat healthily.
Not sure if this is what you meant, but seems they are ok for low GI, to my mind :)