Something weird about me (or my scales)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I am tracking my weight at the moment on scales which read to 1/10th of a pound.

I have noticed that my weight (according to the scales) stays steady to the tenth of a pound and then suddenly lunges either up or down.

I could understand if my weight varied by 1/10th of a pound from day to day but it doesn't seem to - big jumps or nothing.

It could be that there is a plateau area where I don't add or subtract fat, or it could be that the scales don't really read to 1/10th of a pound.

Either way it is a bit spooky.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My weight varies up or down by a lb or two every day. A pint of water in or out would make over a lb difference. Staying constant to a tenth of a lb seems unlikely. Next time you see this constant weight hold say an 8oz weight in your hand and see if your weight increases by 0.5 lbs

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
What are you calling ‘big jumps’?

More than one pound at a time.

I would have expected to be going up and down by small amounts - variations in water retention, another couple of ounces more or less in fat. Staying at exactly the same weight to the 1/10th of a pound seems unlikely unless there is an internal bodily mechanism which keeps the fat stores stable and the water content stable.

I will do as @Mr_Pot suggests once I can find a reliable set of weights. Scales are all digital. Probably plastic water bottles with varying amounts of water and calibrated on the digital kitchen scales.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I weigh more than you, but even on my virtually no carb almost entirely carnivorous way of eating, by weight flutuates by 1-3 pounds over a few days.

As examples
Salt and carbs cause water retention, and the lack of them causes the fluid to flush away.
Weight of food and water in transit (meals and bowel movements, etc)
Even heavy exercise can cause inflammation and fluid retention in muscles...
You won’t have girlie hormones, but they can factor in too...