Son Type 1, Diagnosed January

moopf

Hello. I'm the father of a 9 year old that was diagnosed with Type 1 in mid-January this year. It's been an intense few months getting used to caring for our son and getting to grips with everything that Diabetes brings with it. Last week he had his first Hb1ac which, as it included the period of 3-4 weeks after diagnosis when his sugars were slowly coming down, I wasn't expecting to be great. However it came back as 6.8% which the consultant said was one of the best in the clinic. It's then that things got confusing though as he said we weren't doing things correctly.

We haven't had a great deal of contact with the Diabetes team at the hospital past the first few weeks after diagnosis. I think we've spoken to them about 4 times since and attended clinic twice. They are incredibly busy, dealing with around 200 children, and we've been left to get on with it.

Anyway we fell into a regime where we tried to anticipate his blood sugars as this just seemed logical. So at a test before food we'd see where his blood sugar level was, think about what he was going to be doing after food and see what relative level of carbs was in the meal. We'd then pick a ratio accordingly to try to balance his blood sugars. We use half unit pens so it's easier to tweak on this basis. Our son has been involved in everything we do and is himself getting used to thinking about what ratios should be used. But now we've been told to stop doing it this way.

What they want us to do is to stick to fixed ratios and adjust for high blood sugars using his current insulin sensitivity, which is around 1 unit to bring him down by 5. Although they also say to use different, but still fixed, ratios on lazy days or before sport (he plays a lot of sport). Fundamentally though this seems to be a reactive approach - you correct afterwards if blood sugars are high - rather than proactive where you try to limit the highs from happening in the first place.

The consultant tried to justify why with a couple of points:

1. The insulin you give to bring down and the insulin you give for food are two different things. Whilst we understand this, as we take into account the relative carb loading in the meal he's eating we're unsure why this matters. We're actually trying to avoid giving units to bring him down at all.

2. It's difficult for them to go through his blood sugars over the telephone if we're changing ratios. Again whilst we understand this there are a couple of problems with this: a). Surely the most important thing is the well-being of the child (both in terms of his physical health and what mentally makes this easier for him to deal with) and b). We have full records for every single meal he's had since diagnosis including not only the ratio chosen but the individual foods and the amount of carbs in them and can present this to them in whatever way makes it easier for them.

Using our method we've only once had to give him an extra injection in the last 8 weeks and that's important for us as, during the first 4 weeks after diagnosis, the number of extra injections was obviously getting him down. We also made him a promise when he was diagnosed that we'd do the heavy lifting so he could get back to being a normal, active 9 year old and we wouldn't stop him from doing anything he used to do just because he had Diabetes. We've managed that - it's been difficult but we did not want to wrap him in cotton wool and make him think that there were things he could no longer do. It was about making sure he had confidence as much as anything to fit Diabetes around his life rather than the other way around.

His honeymoon period started about 5-6 weeks ago and in the last week or so it seems that this is now ending unfortunately.

So the last clinic appointment has left us confused. We're not experts by any stretch of the imagination and it feels odd to question what we're being told. We've been told right from day one that it's a very personal condition and what works for one person might not for another and that things change over time. I understand that but feel that we can't really think about how it will change in the future, we have to deal with it as it currently is. We've been left feeling that there must be something we're missing.

Can anybody add any personal experience to this? We don't want to be doing things incorrectly and we don't know any other parents socially dealing with a child with Type 1 so it's difficult for us to get other opinions from others who deal with the realities on a daily basis. I thought posting here would be a good start. If we're doing it wrong we'll change.

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mr moopf,

I just read your Post and found it very uplifting. I feel for your boy, being diagnosed at a young age. But judging from your Post he is getting the best possible start in dealing with it. I feel that you are doing absolutely right by your son.

The balance of minimal injections, maximum time with normal blood-sugar, and normalcy of life is a Holy Trinity that not many will achieve. When you are shooting for it, and achieving it, with the full involvement of your son then I think your family can be very proud of itself!

I guess you already worked this out long ago, but in any case I think it's worth restating: Yes, your Diabetes team are experts. But they are experts in a complete different way from you are. You know your boy better than anybody, and your family is learning on an hourly basis what works and what doesn't work. The Consultant may be brilliant at answering specific questions, due to his/her knowledge of endocrinology and his/her store of anecdotal evidence from numerous consultations. But for the day-to-day decisions, you are the real experts.

I think your responses to the Consultant's points are spot-on. If your family has obtained a successful understanding of different ratios for different circumstances after 3 months, starting from scratch, then I would expect that an experienced Diabetes Consultant should be able to deal with it.

Perhaps your Diabetes team's attitude is explained by the fact that they are petrified of encouraging any regime that they think might result in Hypoglycaemic episodes. Over the years I've seen many medics, and even Diabetics themselves, that prefer to keep levels on the higher side rather than take a risk that a Hypo occurs. Perhaps your Consultant/team feels that if you are making a "new" calculation each day then it is more likely that a mistake might be made?, rather than if a "standard" ratio is used all the time. Maybe if you get a chance, you could ask them if this is a/the reason why they really prefer a fixed ratio.

Also I'll be cheeky and suggest that over time, this shift to standard or fixed ratios is something that might happen naturally with your son, as the experience of being Diabetic becomes more embedded in the consciousness. When things are new, it is natural to devote more attention and thought to them. After a long time, when things have become more of a constant background hum, there may not be the same desire to devote time/energy to making a specific calculation each day, and the human tendency to obtain acceptable (not necessarily optimal) results in the most efficient way possible may come into play. This may be true for your son/family in the long future. I can speculate that this is already true for your Diabetes team. When they are incredibly busy, as you describe, I can think that they want to process their workload in the most efficient possible way, and may not want/like/be able to apply specific criteria to individual cases. A one-size-fits-all policy that gets acceptable results may be literally what the Doctor ordered.

I've been T1 Diabetic for 13 years now. I've moved around a fair bit, and have therefore registered with several different Doctors and Diabetes Centres in different places. In general I've met a collection of very nice, very kind, well-meaning people that have supplied me with my test-strips and my Insulin. But honestly not many of them have really helped me to understand and manage my Diabetes on a day-to-day level. For that, I've relied on good records of what I've eaten and the results in my little glucose monitor. This is what makes you an expert and enables you to take control of your condition.

I really hope that you get some replies from parents that are in your situation and can give more specific advice to you. In the meantime I'd like to tell you from just my own experience that I think you are doing exactly the right things. I wish your family all the best.

Regards,
Antony

mbudzi

Moopf - I'm only a couple of years in, but I have a friend with a diabetic child who was diagnosed at the same time and you are doing things in much the same way she has.

I can only endorse what Antony says, you are the expert. To be fair to our diabetic teams, they do not have the same exposure to data that we do. Minimum, 3 times a day, weighing, calculating, monitoring results, adjusting. That makes us able to fine tune and anticipate in a way they can't experience.

I don't always follow my team's advice. I ask them to explain why they think something must be done a set way to establish if there is something I have missed. Then I make my decision and explain to them next time what I tried and what the results were. I have had some very grumpy, dismissive nurses, but in the main the nurses and consultants have been open to letting me experiment when I have demonstrated my understanding and reason for doing it that way.

I think you are on the right lines but maybe a parent with a more reactive regime could give you their view?

moopf

Hi Antony,

First of all many thanks for your detailed reply - I really appreciate the time you've taken. Interestingly I don't get the impression that the team are petrified of hypos and at the recent clinic appointment they downloaded the readings from his meter and commented that there weren't too many and that it was perfectly normal, as they did at the previous clinic as well. Apart from a rare one below 3, they've always been above 3. Sport is the thing that tends to give us the biggest problems (and he does a lot of it!) but we've all got much better at understanding how his body reacts to it, and for how long (he swims, plays tennis, plays lacrosse, BMXs etc. and they're all a little different in terms of time spent and intensity). The team have never made a big deal out of them but, you're right, it sounds like something to bring up with them just to be sure.

We tend to stick to a range of ratios - 1 for 10, 1 for 12 and 1 for 15 at present - rather than just picking ratios out of thin air and really just use the one that we all feel fits for a given set of circumstances. It's gradually moved towards the higher insulin/carb ratio - so more to 1 for 10 - in the last week or so and it's that, along with us noticing rises during the night and waking on a higher blood sugar and being higher in the times between meals that's leading us to thoughts that the honeymoon is coming to an end. Throughout it's been about trying to avoid highs that need correcting, whilst avoiding lows obviously, and trying to feather his blood sugars as much as possible.

We're fully prepared for what works for him, or what routine he falls into, to change over time. You're right that apathy is something that can easily creep in, it's difficult to know where we'll be in another 3 months, the last 3 months alone have been an incredibly long journey. And definitely I think the policy from the hospital is one of a regime that gives acceptable results for as many patients as possible. I can completely understand that, it's the nature of large scale management of anything. But with engaged parents I'd hope they'd support whatever they are finding works and is keeping him healthy and as happy as he can be.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with them being experts but not in the same way that we are (it's not the first time somebody has said that to us). We still feel so very new to this it just seems almost arrogant to think that we know what is working for him better. I guess, as we're learning, that's the nature of Diabetes - those that live with it day in and day out know more about how to treat it for themselves than you can be 'told'. It still feels strange to question the experts though!

What we don't want to do is alienate the hospital team because we know there will be times that we need their support. We do believe that at the moment what we're doing is working and without being made aware of some glaring hole in our thinking (which is partly why I posted this thread to see if there is!) it is the way we'd like to continue. I'm contemplating writing to the consultant to give my thoughts and to offer to record whatever information they need to make it work for them in whatever format they would prefer to try to make this work for both sides.

Thanks,

Gareth

moopf

Hi mbudzi,

Thank you for letting me know about your friend. I'd find it hard to think that what we're doing in something that others aren't doing but it's very difficult to know when you have limited contact with other parents in similar circumstances. We do go to a once monthly support group for parents and their children but this month we had a talk for the parents so I didn't get a chance to just chat about this with the other parents there - a little frustrating but the talk was useful in its own way.

I'd love to hear from other parents on this :)

Regards,

Gareth