SORRY I NEED TO RANT

andreaabbott1

I have kept hubby on such a strict diet and his bloods havent gone over 6.6 all week
today was my work day so I was away but I left him some roast chicken for lunch with a salad bowl

for his dinner I left him a trout and some spinach
left him nuts and some berries to snack on
his neuropathy isnt improving and the tablets mean he sleeps 95% of the day

to cut along story short he had a yelling match with my son and sent him out to the shop
today hubby has feasted on tuc biscuits, popadoms and carrs water biscuits pata , and 2 cans of fizzy drink

I am so angry, this family is suffering obviously because of his pain he is very moody yelling at our daughter even if she makes a sound
refusing to even move his self off the sofa, demanding food and drinks

I have had it to be honest I now really dont give a flying F if he kills himself because he is going the right way about it
and if i have much more of the nasty behaviour he will be taking a one way trip out the front door

Reactions: 19 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That was a very good rant. :) I would be angry too. Do you feel a bit better now after letting off steam? :)

Reactions: 13 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I have kept hubby on such a strict diet and his bloods havent gone over 6.6 all week
today was my work day so I was away but I left him some roast chicken for lunch with a salad bowl

to cut along story short he had a yelling match with my son and sent him out to the shop
today hubby has feasted on tuc biscuits, popadoms and carrs water biscuits pata , and 2 cans of fizzy drink

I am so angry, this family is suffering obviously because of his pain he is very moody yelling at our daughter even if she makes a sound

I have had it to be honest I now really dont give a flying F if he kills himself because he is going the right way about it
and if i have much more of the nasty behaviour he will be taking a one way trip out the front door
Glad you are getting closer to standing up to him. The welfare of your daughter should be the top priority IMO.

Reactions: 13 people

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
You can lead a horse to water....
I wish I had a word or two of wisdom for you but I don't only sympathy.

Reactions: 2 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry he is giving you and your children such a hard time but he sounds like a man who just does not want to change and you can't help him if he will not help himself so nagging him about his diet will just make him more bad tempered. Maybe he thinks because of his problems that his life does not have any quality anymore so the food he enjoys is the only pleasure he has left and he could well be suffering from depression to so he should see a doctor about how he feels but I can see that it would probably be difficult to persuade him

Reactions: 6 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can so sympathise with you Andrea. xx Before I was diagnosed T2 I just assumed my hubby knew what he was doing with his insulin and carbs etc. but since doing my own research I now realise that he is slowly killing himself with his refusal to do anything to help himself. I think you did amazing to take control of his eating the way you did. Mine just has everything he fancies, i.e. 4 slices of thick toast and jam, Weetabix smothered in honey, chips, cakes, you name it. :( He just laughs off his frequent 30+ BS and whacks in extra insulin. He's always asleep in the chair which drives me nuts.

He sees me eating my low carb diet and getting results but he's just not interested in changing.

I hope you can get yours back on track as it sounds like at least he is willing to help himself and that's half the battle. xxx

Reactions: 4 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's good to talk and this is the place to do it.
Your daughter and son both need you, please take care of yourself and them, then worry about hubby.
Good luck.

Canuck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I happen to have been "accidentally" directed to this site / discussion post. What are the odds of that?
So, I read your message, and I joined your forum site.

I think what you are describing, is that your husband is experiencing an episode of depression, brought about by his deteriorating diabetic control among other things. Now, ... don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that his depression is in a "clinical alert" condition, but what I mean is that his state of mind has evolved into a level that effects both his health and that of those around him.

First and foremost, his present state of mind is completely and absolutely reversible. Obviously he has a loving wife that goes above and beyond the call of duty, to attend to his diabetic nutritional needs and is truly concerned about his health and well-being. So give yourself a huge pat on the back.

Now it's time to regroup the troops and think about a strategy that might work to alleviate his self-spiral.

There are many factors that can crush an individual's will to adhere to a strict diet. You have already conquered the most difficult part already, and that is the support of your family. The next step, would be to have those people around him, to also (and yes I do mean "YOU" also) join into a healthier nutritional lifestyle. Nothing is more difficulty than sitting there with your rabbit food, and everyone else is chowing down on those delicious mounds of sugar loaded treats and then washing it all down with that ever so needed gallon of fizzy soda-pop. Your husband fells contained, isolated and excluded. He lashes out, by consuming those pernicious and well-advertised calorie bombs of "fell good" food, that destroy our bodies every day.

If you had to relegate yourself to the meals that are meant for him, ... would you be able to maintain his diet? I surely believe that you could, ... and so would the rest of your family. That's because the one thing that diabetes forces its victims to endure, is a healthy diet. What you must understand, is that this is an opportunity for the whole family to join with your husband on a path to better nutrition. It may sound cavalier, but think about it. If your whole family were to eat better, then it's a win-win situation. The family would reap the benefits of a better diet, and your husband would not be so alone and easily tempted. I can tell you from experience that it only takes a little effort to switch to a more healthy diet, that all can enjoy. Because I clearly remember thinking that it was so unfair, that my spouse was snacking and enjoying frosted cake and chocolate treats while I sat there with my salad. I may not have said anything, but I surely felt that way. It wasn't too long before I was cheating on my diet, and my numbers went out of control.

The reason that I zeroed-in on the treats, is that they are readily available to the rest of the family, and therefore to him. That's because you said that he was a couch potato, and therefore, ... where did the treats come from? The answer is that the cupboard was already supplied with them. It might be impossible for the family to quit "cold-turkey", so try to phase out the real offenders. You will also find, that when the whole family moves to a better diet, your husband will feel much better about his tolerance to the "green stuff".

Please don't take this message as a criticism of your food choices. I am merely pointing out that the starchy food industry has thoroughly and deeply ingrained into our society, their preferred (and profitable) food options. Absolutely every item that is contained in a grocery store, is carefully displayed to promote the greatest profit, irrespective of the nutritional value. We are constantly bombarded with senseless promotions to buy the quickest and easiest (and tasty) foods. The labour of love, that must be expended to find and purchase the foods that are most advantageous, is something difficult. The mere fact that you had prepared a special diet for him, also means that the rest of the family can benefit from your skills. In fact, if you were to involve the rest of the family in the preparation of a varied series or selection of pre-cooked meals, it would teach them to appreciate the heroic efforts that cooking for a whole family really is. Who knows, ... it might even be a "family time" opportunity. The self-sufficiency skills that your children will need in the future will be well served by an early indoctrination of nutritional and culinary arts. Just the simple task of properly feeding ourselves in this fast and disposable society, is an activity that has been mostly neglected or lost.

With a lot of research, and a little trial and error, you will find those food gems that are both dietary responsible and that also have the ingredients to satisfy your taste buds. Sometimes it's buying the right oil and spices that can make all the difference.

The best advise that I can give you is, CUT DOWN ON THE SALT, and everything that contains it. The amount of salt that is infused into our daily consumption simply staggers the mind. Absolutely everything has gobs of sodium in it. You can't get away from it. The food manufacturing conglomerates have found the perfect way to make their **** taste good, and that is by tossing mounds of salt in their products. A good way to fool yourself into believing that you are still ingesting your favourite pile of salt, is to use a salt grinder rather than using a salt shaker (with store bought salt crystals). The reason is that a grinder can emit a very fine salt powder that will excite the tongue to the same degree that those many times larger salt crystals will. A good example of "less is more". Plus, ... the decreased consumption of salt will greatly assist to diminish the pain and swelling in the extremities (especially in the feet). Remember, ... high blood pressure kills.

This may sound silly, but, offer to massage his feet. At first it may hurt him depending on his circulatory condition (possible neuropathy), but with a little TLC he will start to purrrr. At that point, you can ask for his co-operation in his better diet adherence (or for that expensive trip around the world) and the answer will always be ... yes.

Another good tip, is to drink plenty of water. Day by day (or soon enough), what he will feel is a lessened need to urinate. You might think that this statement is contradictory, but it isn't. The reason that the bathroom breaks are so often needed by diabetics is because the bladder is swollen and irritated. Being properly hydrated goes a long way in eliminating the toxins from the body. Please note, that in some bottled water, they stuff sodium into their ingredients. I suspect that they do so, to increase the use of their product.

Don't forget to eliminate gluten from your diet. It has no nutritional value whatsoever, and is exclusively used to make food stuff more palatable to the unsuspecting consumer. It is the worst thing for a diabetic. There is nothing good about it, yet it is almost everywhere. Try to read the labels carefully, and avoid the foods that have it (if possible).

A warning to all !!! Please do some research about the artificial sweetener called "Splenda" or "Sucralose" (or its other equivalent names). This garbage started out as an insecticide (1976, in the UK), and was later approved as a sugar substitute only because it did not cause cancer. What I have learned is that they slightly varied the toxicity level for human consumption. The company has played with the use of the wording of "sugar substitute", by referring to the end result of fabrication rather than the actual content. The long term effect of this product on the human physiology has been sidestepped. Basically it is almost pure sugar, with an ingredient added (chlorine) that paralyzes the stomach from absorbing the sugar. Therefore it tastes like sugar, because it is mostly sugar. Rather than take my word for it, just Google the words "Splenda" and "side effects" together. You will be horrified at the specific formulation and history of this product. If you were to eat a whole pie made with this stuff as a sweetener, your rectum may start to bleed. Even at lesser amounts of Splenda (or repeated/continued use of it), your bowels will be affected (ie. irritation, itchy, swollen, gas). Unfortunately, some people will experience a trace of rectal bleeding after only using Splenda after a short period of time. The way that the pesticide works is, that the formulation prevents the termite queen's ability to feed by paralyzing its ability to digest. So no queen equals no termites. Of course the pesticide is not labelled "Splenda". The chemical formulation and the manufacturing patent are available on the internet. If you are already using Splenda in the preparation of the foods that your husband ingests, that too may account for his ill health condition and frame of mind. The side effects of Splenda are somewhat akin to the malaise that you described about your husband.

QUOTE: “Splenda” is the commercial name used for sucralose. The manufacturers advertise Splenda as being more “natural” than other sweeteners, as the main substance, sucralose, comes from sugar. This is very misleading though, as it leads consumers to believe that sucralose comes from sugar the same way that cheese comes from milk. The way that sucralose is produced is much more complicated, but to put it simply Splenda is chlorinated sugar (chlorocarbon). Other common chlorocarbons include carbon tetrachloride, and methylene chloride which are all poisonous! Chlorine in numerous studies has been proven as toxic to our bodies and can accumulate in our systems over time.

I HOPE MY RANT HAS HELPED YOU.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmmm @Canuck I don't think the OP's husband is necessarily depressed. I felt he was just craving rubbish food and rebelling against the great diet his wife had been providing for him. There isn't any hint that she is indeed eating junk food herself either.

One thing I would say that if someone changes their diet to a low carb unprocessed diet, then adding salt is necessary as when you give up prepacked meals your salt intake drops dramatically.

I agree with you about artificial sweeteners and I try to avoid them.

Edited to add:

If you read the OP through again, the treats weren't already in the cupboard - the husband made his son go out to buy them for him. There is only one person at fault here and it's the husband.

Last edited by a moderator:

Canuck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you read the OP through again, the treats weren't already in the cupboard - the husband made his son go out to buy them for him. There is only one person at fault here and it's the husband.[/QUOTE]

I missed that !!!!!

Thank you "zand", I stand corrected.

Reactions: 7 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you read the OP through again, the treats weren't already in the cupboard - the husband made his son go out to buy them for him. There is only one person at fault here and it's the husband.

I missed that !!!!!

Thank you "zand", I stand corrected.[/QUOTE]

yes, so did I first time round ! :rolleyes: :)

PS @Canuck welcome to the forum :)

Reactions: 6 people

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
some guys just give up. I have seen a few good number of them leaving this world after suffering from T2D in my own family. Wide ranging reasons may be there, but what I noticed:

1. Egoistic behaviour all through the life [old habits ....]. I do not suggest that OP's husband has it; but most men who had an independent life may exhibit this 'disorder' at least to an extent. My aunt who was a top executive with city bank, had same issues, unfortunately she could never control her ego even on death bed. Long suffering over 2 years, both toes amputated, very high BP till the end; very sad. At one time, no nurse wants to help us even on extra payment.

2. Getting frustrated or enraged when all the attempts to control T2D fail

3. Natural craving - this never stops, especially increases when put on restricted diet.

4. Feeling hopeless due to restricted mobility; my uncle told me that he might have about a week left for his death and begged us to allow him eat whatever he likes. But he survived a few good months in real.

5. Withdrawal symptoms of all regular habits as persons will not be able to pursue them due to physical/ mental weakness

Old people once gave up all hopes, start to behave differently. Such behaviour no doubt puts a lot of burden on immediate family members and care takers. The enzymes, hormones, blood composition, heart, kidney, liver all get degraded in old age. T2D makes things more worse. One good (or bad) thing, T2D suffers in a way are less burden as folks with uncontrolled or more BS levels will be sleeping all day, all night. Just imagine, if they are suffering from cancer or alzheimers or parkinson's - it will be more worse. It is always painful to watch our own family member going down the hill.

At the end we all have to die and leave this world. At least our bodies are programmed to do so.

This is my rant

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Istr from a Radio4 programme that our bodies use just about every naturally occurring element in the periodic table for some process even the highly poisonous ones are used in very tiny amounts.
Everything in moderation........?

Jacqui_Jay

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Mis-use of the English language, road rage, people who think the world owes them a living
Before I went on my low card diet (into second week now) I didn't eat ready meals or any kind of salt knowingly.
Do I really have to introduce salt into my diet?

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Good grief @Canuck, I'm bl@@dy exhausted after reading your post. You should really take a look around the forum before telling us all how it is. If you had taken the time to look around, you would have seen that we already know about artificial sweeteners. The topic has been widely discussed on here. As has depression associated with diabetes. In fact, there are information/explore pages on this website, alongside the threads posted, that discuss the other issues you raised and more beyond.

Excuse me for saying this, as I'm sure you replied to this thread with good intentions, but I'm afraid your post comes across as preaching as well as patronising. You're making a lot of assumptions about the OP & your "this is what you should be doing" post is, frankly, irritating. Sorry, but that's my opinion. After all, you've given yours. May I suggest you explore the forum & find out what you've joined. You'll discover that we're a pretty intelligent bunch who offer advice, support & a safe harbour to forum members. Best wishes.

Reactions: 31 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!

Hi @andreaabbott1. Your frustration is palpable. And, I can quite understand why you felt the need to rant. You're clearly a very caring lady & have done everything you can to help your husband manage his diabetes effectively. But, there comes a time when the person with diabetes has to recognise the impact the disease is having upon themselves & their loved ones. If your husband is experiencing clinical depression, he needs help from specialist mental health services, which he can access via his GP. Would you be able to persuade your husband to see his GP, either at the surgery or with a home visit. He clearly needs to be reviewed, both for his diabetes as well as his mental health. Unfortunately, people who are depressed are often unmotivated & lack the impetus to get the ball rolling in respect of their health needs. Plus, depressed people may not like themselves very much, so they neglect their wellbeing & don't care about the consequences of their action, or inaction? I sympathise with you hun, but you sound like a feisty lady, which I'm sure will be a positive trait in getting your husband the help he requires. I wish all of you the very best.

Reactions: 18 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Good grief @Canuck, I'm bl@@dy exhausted after reading your post. You should really take a look around the forum before telling us all how it is. If you had taken the time to look around, you would have seen that we already know about artificial sweeteners. It has been widely discussed. As is Depression associated with Diabetes. In fact, there are information/explore pages on this website, alongside the threads posted, that discuss the other issues you raised. Excuse me for saying this, as I'm sure you replied to this thread with good intentions, but I'm afraid your post comes across as preaching as well as patronising. You're making a lot of assumptions about the OP & your "this is what you should be doing" post is rather irritating. Sorry, but that's my opinion. After all, you've given yours. May I suggest you explore the forum & find out what you've joined. You'll discover that we're a pretty intelligent bunch who offer advice, support & a safe harbour to forum members. Best wishes.
Thank you for saying what no doubt many of us were thinking. I was going to write a similar response but opted for humour on this occasion. Both methods are appropriate at times like this :)

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Drivers who speed in built up areas
Having read Canucks post the info to remove all gluten from your diet I was told that diabetes and celiac disease are not related so why bother about gluten,am I missing something very important here,I have every confidence that someone with far greater knowledge than I will put me straight