Sorry it's another Freestyle Libre thread

Mr Happy

Well as the big 4-0 approaches and my diabetes celebrates its 18th Birthday, I am pretty determined to take the plunge.

I suffer from Neuropathy so am having immense problems with my feet and every attempt to lower my HBA1c is resulting in many dangerous lows (including thinking the Christmas jumpers were attacking me in Primark).

So at around £100 a month, the commitment is pretty big, I have had a trawl through the posts but have a few questions I've not seen answered.

1. I've seen a worrying number of people having failed sensors, are they pretty good at quick to replace if you have an issue?

2. Are they pretty resilient for gym, swimming etc.

3. As part of my neuropathy treatment I spend a fair amount of time in the sauna - anyone have any experience on the impact on sensors?

4. Can you take sensors out and re-apply?

5. How is the sensor removal - yes after around 25,000 injections I am still squeamish

6. Does anyone use rock tape / kinaesthetic tape to help secure the sensors?

7. Is a mix of the sensor (with the price of starter pack) and the app the best way forwards?

8. Any advice on shaving a bit of the price in any way shape or form?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
1. I've seen a worrying number of people having failed sensors, are they pretty good at quick to replace if you have an issue?

I had one erratic one, with readings that were either well above or well below my finger pricker, and unreasonably so. It also showed silly readings at the time I had a fasting glucose test at the surgery, so I had a "true" reading to compare. I sent an email to Abbott. Had a reply within 2 days asking for the serial number, then a further email to say they were replacing it, which they did very promptly.

No

5. How is the sensor removal - yes after around 25,000 injections I am still squeamish

It doesn't hurt if that's what you mean. It is similar to removing anything stuck to your skin. You don't see any blood or needles or anything. The filament that pierces your skin is tiny.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The rock tape is great. I knocked a few sensors off, now I wrap a length of tape all right around my arm and not had a problem since. I might be imagining it but I think I get more reliable readings when using the tape.

Last edited:

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If a sensor is faulty, they will replace but only after checking a few things. If you knock them off, they will only replace up to three.

I've used 'Tubifast' to secure a sensor to my arm, or Tegaderm, although Abbott advise not to cover any sensor.

The Libre is a great system and many, including myself, have been able to significantly improve control of glucose levels. As Type 2, I've managed to come off Glipizide (3 tabs each day) because of using Libre so, to me, definitely worth using.

If you are, and complete the disclaimer at the order page, you will be exempt for VAT charge, therefore reducing the cost. Also, if you have the relevant code, you can avoid the P&P, saving thus £5.00 :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Mr Happy

1. I've seen a worrying number of people having failed sensors, are they pretty good at quick to replace if you have an issue? Abbott are pretty good at replacing sensors, but despite what you hear, they don't fail all that frequently.

I've found that to be the case, and generally across the board, you only hear about the ones that have failed. Bear in mind the population of users in Europe is 50,000 people and very few of them actually spout of on social media.

3. As part of my neuropathy treatment I spend a fair amount of time in the sauna - anyone have any experience on the impact on sensors?
Sorry - can't help with this!

No.

Seems to vary by user - some find it easy, other's much harder.

Yes - if you want more info join the Libre Users group on Facebook.

7. Is a mix of the sensor (with the price of starter pack) and the app the best way forwards?
If you just want to try it and have a compatible phone, buy one sensor and test it out.

Only don't buy the reader. Use the librelink app instead. There isn't anything else you can do. You can also buy ex-VAT being diabetic.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"(including thinking the Christmas jumpers were attacking me in Primark)" - LOL!

So at around £100 a month, the commitment is pretty big, I have had a trawl through the posts but have a few questions I've not seen answered.

Yes if they have genuinely failed they will replace them, allow the usual 5 day delivery, although it can be quicker. Don't email to report it always phone. Once you have committed yourself to it always try to have at least 2 spare in the cupboard *just in case* They will replace 3 non failures but then you'll have to wait 90 days after the last before reporting any more - whether non-sticking is a failure or not I'm not sure, or if you did have a genuine fail but admitted it was covered?

Pass but they are water proof (at 1m for 30mins - some have been scuba diving wearing it and it's survived), some find sweat weakens the stickiness - but basically it's all down to your skin type I think.

Pass again but heat can affect the accuracy.

No!

again depending on skin type, it's either a crowbar or removing the additional 'over plaster' that kept it on. Man up!

yes, but abbot advise not to, possibly causes compression lows if too tight and/or doesn't allow the area to breath. people do and don't mention it to abbot if they have a failed sensor.

get the starter pack first and see how you get on, or if you have a compatible android phone with NFC you can use abbots own phone app and just buy a sensor to try it. the scanner/reader also doubles up as a blood glucose and ketone meter with the right test strips.

there always seems to be a free p&p code somewhere on the net, facebook best place for that. Obviously VAT free if you're eligible. And you don't have to use them fully time, use one for 2 weeks and have a break.......until payday!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One other thing @Mr Happy check with your local diabetes clinic they may have some/one 'for trial' FOC

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One other thing @Mr Happy check with your local diabetes clinic they may have some/one 'for trial' FOC
My clinic arranged a trial where I got one sensor and a reader, was able to keep the reader and now use with purchased sensors. I don't use a phone but it's worth checking out models as some apparently cause sensors to fail.
I use a cohesive bandage around sensor gives me confidence in crowds and when approaching door frames!
I find the libre amazing especially doing shift work. Good luck hope it works well for you.
Just remembered, don't forget to tick the right box to get the vat of when ordering

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wear my sensors on the inside of my arm so there is no chance of knocking it off on door frames etc. To attach it I hold my arm straight out, palm down. Grab the flabby bit between armpit and elbow and slap it on. Its also better protected there when asleep.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Which code is that please?
The code changes each month, it seems, and has been available since end of last year. One way to get the current code is to register with "Abbott Freestyle Libre users" on Facebook or, the other way, is to place your order but not complete the process, leaving your order sitting in your Abbott basket. After a day or two, you'll get an email from Abbott reminding you that you still have items in your basket then, after another day or two, they will send another email suggesting you use a code for free postage, given in the email :)

So, save yourself £5.00 each time :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The code changes each month, it seems, and has been available since end of last year. One way to get the current code is to register with "Abbott Freestyle Libre users" on Facebook or, the other way, is to place your order but not complete the process, leaving your order sitting in your Abbott basket. After a day or two, you'll get an email from Abbott reminding you that you still have items in your basket then, after another day or two, they will send another email suggesting you use a code for free postage, given in the email :)

So, save yourself £5.00 each time :)

LOL Might try that next time. Thanks

Reactions: Energize

matt_oram27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had one erratic one, with readings that were either well above or well below my finger pricker, and unreasonably so. It also showed silly readings at the time I had a fasting glucose test at the surgery, so I had a "true" reading to compare. I sent an email to Abbott. Had a reply within 2 days asking for the serial number, then a further email to say they were replacing it, which they did very promptly.

No

It doesn't hurt if that's what you mean. It is similar to removing anything stuck to your skin. You don't see any blood or needles or anything. The filament that pierces your skin is tiny.

Having been on the Libre for 4 months (about 9 sensors) we have had to return 4 as they simply have been inaccurate to a degree of more than 50%. We simply rang up Abbott and they asked us to return the sensor on the post. they then send out another usually arriving within 3-4 days.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I've had two fail out of fourteen. Abbott have replaced them without any fuss. Phoned them on both occasions as previous posts suggested a call gets a quicker response than e-mail. They asked me to do a blood test on the Libre then wait a while to check it with a scan, so it's best to acquire some libre test strips in addition to your usual ones - I had some anyway after being given a free meter on a DAFNE course, might ask my GP to add it to my scrip. They also quiz you on the error log in the reader. I don't worry about occasional fails - it's a complex piece of chemistry going into a hostile environment which tries to attack it and clutter it up with junk so it's splendid that it works at all. This image of a mouse macrophage always cracks me up, the way it's got it's arms out like it's saying, "Coming to get ya!". As soon as you insert the sensor, your defence mechanisms start throwing that stuff at it.

250px-Macrophage.jpg

Early posts in the first year suggest the adhesive wasn't strong enough,but in the seven months I've been using it, they seem to have strengthened it. It takes a fair amount of prying off. Teasing it off in the shower with a lot of soap is one way, although I've found more recently that it's easier to pry the sensor off the tape first and then take the tape off. It's not sore. The sensor is a flexible filament so it's not like there's a hard needle you're dragging out.

The sensor sits slightly proud of your skin and although the adhesive is strong, I had one fail after nudging it on a door jamb so it was still in but raised off just by a couple of millimetres. So I've started putting a big plaster on it just to smooth out the contours so it's not so easy to catch. Molnlycke do a 7 x 8 cm one called Mepore which most chemists seem to have behind the counter, not on display, 17 pence in Omnicare, but oddly 40 pence elsewhere.

I gave up using the app. The graphs are better than the reader but waving a lit up beeping phone past your arm in public isn't as discreet as a noiseless palm sized reader. Still got it on my phone just in case I lose the reader. Even though I know where the NFC aerial is in my phone, it can be a bit hit or miss getting it to find the sensor.

All in all, libre has it's quirks and foibles, but it's a game changer. One of mine packed in at the start of a working day: the rest of that day was like going back to the Stone Age. I'm a middle aged Scottish bloke, which is almost the dictionary definition of cynical. The most you'll normally get out of me is, "Aye, it's no bad." With the libre, though, I have no reservations about saying it's brilliant.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

hansolo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had two fail out of fourteen. Abbott have replaced them without any fuss. Phoned them on both occasions as previous posts suggested a call gets a quicker response than e-mail. They asked me to do a blood test on the Libre then wait a while to check it with a scan, so it's best to acquire some libre test strips in addition to your usual ones - I had some anyway after being given a free meter on a DAFNE course, might ask my GP to add it to my scrip. They also quiz you on the error log in the reader. I don't worry about occasional fails - it's a complex piece of chemistry going into a hostile environment which tries to attack it and clutter it up with junk so it's splendid that it works at all. This image of a mouse macrophage always cracks me up, the way it's got it's arms out like it's saying, "Coming to get ya!". As soon as you insert the sensor, your defence mechanisms start throwing that stuff at it.

250px-Macrophage.jpg

Early posts in the first year suggest the adhesive wasn't strong enough,but in the seven months I've been using it, they seem to have strengthened it. It takes a fair amount of prying off. Teasing it off in the shower with a lot of soap is one way, although I've found more recently that it's easier to pry the sensor off the tape first and then take the tape off. It's not sore. The sensor is a flexible filament so it's not like there's a hard needle you're dragging out.

The sensor sits slightly proud of your skin and although the adhesive is strong, I had one fail after nudging it on a door jamb so it was still in but raised off just by a couple of millimetres. So I've started putting a big plaster on it just to smooth out the contours so it's not so easy to catch. Molnlycke do a 7 x 8 cm one called Mepore which most chemists seem to have behind the counter, not on display, 17 pence in Omnicare, but oddly 40 pence elsewhere.

I gave up using the app. The graphs are better than the reader but waving a lit up beeping phone past your arm in public isn't as discreet as a noiseless palm sized reader. Still got it on my phone just in case I lose the reader. Even though I know where the NFC aerial is in my phone, it can be a bit hit or miss getting it to find the sensor.

All in all, libre has it's quirks and foibles, but it's a game changer. One of mine packed in at the start of a working day: the rest of that day was like going back to the Stone Age. I'm a middle aged Scottish bloke, which is almost the dictionary definition of cynical. The most you'll normally get out of me is, "Aye, it's no bad." With the libre, though, I have no reservations about saying it's brilliant.
Have to mirror these sentiments. Went from Apple to android just for this but it isn't so discreet using my Samsung Galaxy S7, especially as I seem to put the sensor in a different spot each time on either arm. Plus, as Scott-C says, screen facing out and loud, unadjustable beep (unless in silent).

So, probably going back to reader though the system all-in-all is a God send.

christian.ry

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I have a question for @hansolo :
Do you use the Galaxy S7 or the EDGE? Can you confirm the Libre sensors can be read with a (non-edge) S7?

People at glimp app (I tried, but don't want to use it) say that the S7 breaks their sensors and it seems to be a hardware issue. The edge seems to work.

Thanks a lot!!
- Christian

FoxyRoxy

Dislikes
Ipswich Town, having diabetes and bipolar, intolerance, the Daily Mail, Twitter, bad music
@Mr Happy

1. I've seen a worrying number of people having failed sensors, are they pretty good at quick to replace if you have an issue? Abbott are pretty good at replacing sensors, but despite what you hear, they don't fail all that frequently.

I've found that to be the case, and generally across the board, you only hear about the ones that have failed. Bear in mind the population of users in Europe is 50,000 people and very few of them actually spout of on social media.

Sorry - can't help with this!

No.

Seems to vary by user - some find it easy, other's much harder.

Yes - if you want more info join the Libre Users group on Facebook.

If you just want to try it and have a compatible phone, buy one sensor and test it out.

Only don't buy the reader. Use the librelink app instead. There isn't anything else you can do. You can also buy ex-VAT being diabetic.

Libre Users Group on Facebook? Could you please post a link? Thanks