Soup?

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I like making soup but we need now to go VLC. Could you suggest very low carb soup recipes/ideas for me please - what's good and what's definitely not ?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like making soup but we need now to go VLC. Could you suggest very low carb soup recipes/ideas for me please - what's good and what's definitely not ?
This is one I used to make- I called it “mock pea & ham”

2 - 3 full heads of celery rough chopped
smoked ham hock, it needs to be smoked to give it that pea & ham flavour but I’m sure ordinary ham hock will do

Cook the ham hock in water until it begins to fall off the bone, remove hock from pan then add celery and simmer until soft, remove some of the stock once it’s cooked if there’s too much and it looks watery. It’s best to leave just enough stock covering the cooked celery. Blend until smooth, shred the ham hock and add to the celery. That’s it :)

Broccoli & Stilton soup

About 3 heads of broccoli including the stalks roughly chopped, chicken stock just enough to cover the broccoli & a little bit more, cook broccoli until it’s falling then gently blend the lot, I prefer to use a masher as I still like a bit of texture in it, then crumble in Stilton cheese whilst it’s still warm stirring it so the cheese doesn’t clump as it melts

Very simple cauliflower soup.

Dice and fry a small onion, add a couple of chopped up cauliflower and enough chicken or vegetable stock to cover, cook until soft, blend and finish with cream. Some chopped up crispy bacon and a blob of fresh cream on top when you serve it is nice.

You can do the same with celeriac which is also very nice

Also google 5 day soup diet by “I breathe I’m hungry” that has an amazing chicken soup that is so full of good stuff,

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Love the sound of the cauli chicken bacony one, ty!

47Linda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.
I sometimes make a quick and easy vegetable soup. I buy, for quickness and also saves me trying to cut up the vegetables, a bag of small vegetables already cut up very small IE: Carrots, celery, and onion. I use a knorr vegetable stock and add rice vermicelli. Its a lovely soup. Sometimes I would add some cannolini beans to it.

I like the sound of the cauliflower soup too. Hope it helps.

• Friendly
Reactions: fumanchu

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.
I sometimes make a quick and easy vegetable soup. I buy, for quickness and also saves me trying to cut up the vegetables, a bag of small vegetables already cut up very small IE: Carrots, celery, and onion. I use a knorr vegetable stock and add rice vermicelli. Its a lovely soup. Sometimes I would add some cannolini beans to it.

I like the sound of the cauliflower soup too. Hope it helps.
That sounds very do-able, quick and easy with no faffing about. TY!

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lumpy soup is my forte and I eat it several days a week. It never tastes the same twice.

Bone broth
Stock cube (I use vegetable stock but any will do)
Garlic and/or spring onions
Any keto-friendly veggies
Any leftover meat (you don't need much just for flavouring)
Mushrooms if you like 'em
Butter and/or olive oil
Any herbs and/or spices you enjoy

Put in a pot with water and simmer. If heating bills are a consideration, bring to simmer, put lid on pot, switch off heat. If lumps are a problem, liquidise or put through a strainer if you don't have one.

I'm a bone-idle cook and I love good food. This is so easy, and so delicious, and doesn't cost much either.

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Lumpy soup is my forte and I eat it several days a week. It never tastes the same twice.

Bone broth
Stock cube (I use vegetable stock but any will do)
Garlic and/or spring onions
Any keto-friendly veggies
Any leftover meat (you don't need much just for flavouring)
Mushrooms if you like 'em
Butter and/or olive oil
Any herbs and/or spices you enjoy

Put in a pot with water and simmer. If heating bills are a consideration, bring to simmer, put lid on pot, switch off heat. If lumps are a problem, liquidise or put through a strainer if you don't have one.

I'm a bone-idle cook and I love good food. This is so easy, and so delicious, and doesn't cost much either.
PERFECT! many thanks!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A pressure cooker is very good for reducing cooking time, and a hand held blender converts almost anything to soup. I have a Bamix and various different blades and attachments - it can chop up nutmegs, though I usually hit them with a hammer first to make the job easier I tried a whole one once and it never faltered.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak and fumanchu

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got a soup maker Resurgam, love it :)

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Make bone broth by boiling bones with or without meat. You can add carrots, onions and celery for flavour (then remove), also some vinegar, bay leaves (then remove), garlic, wine, etc. Add parsley in the end. You can boil a whole chicken with carrots, onion and celery. If you haven't done it before, give it a go. It's all much easier than it sounds.

Reactions: jjraak and fumanchu

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been doing soup that way for 58 years, since I got married - but now want easier ways munkki. I can do it with the same ingredients though, Many thanks x :)

Reactions: Munkki

rhaardoerfer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like to boil the bones of roasted chicken in the same way @Munkii does and use the leftover from the chicken that way. Also, I have an air fryer which lets me make great fantastic roasted chicken in just an hour.