Spam and luncheon meat

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Suddenly had a craving for Spam! Not had it for years! Is it too processed ? Fat content is high as is salt but you don’t eat the whole can!

Anyone else tried it?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I'm not advocating that you should eat rice, but my missus uses Spam to make her own special fried rice with peas, onion, garlic etc.

I love it until I look at my blood glucose the next morning. Maybe you can find something low carb to eat it with, I also mix it with tomato and onion in an omelette sometimes.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Suddenly had a craving for Spam! Not had it for years! Is it too processed ? Fat content is high as is salt but you don’t eat the whole can!

Anyone else tried it?
This is allegedly the list of contents: Pork (91%), Ham (2%), Water, Salt, Starch, Sugar, Stabiliser: Trisodium Diphosphate, Potassium Chloride, Flavourings, Antioxidant: Sodium Ascorbate, Preservative: Sodium Nitrite
One would ideally just eat pork/ham but if self isolating and relying on non perishable foods I'm sure there are worse things out there. Probably no help at all but I tried. Best wishes with deciding what to do for the best.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Anyone else tried it?

I have a bit of a thing for corned beef.

Tried SPAM a year or so ago, mainly from nostalgia, and it did not live up to childhood memories, but I did discover this site:
https://www.spam.com/
lots of recipes there.

corned beef has fewer ingredients and is far less processed, but both SPAM and tinned corned beef fit keto macros.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is

Anyone else tried it?
Not pregnant are you lol.?
I m in Scotland and they do Spam fritters, deep fried Spam in batter, .........it is an acquired taste

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a bit of a thing for corned beef.

Tried SPAM a year or so ago, mainly from nostalgia, and it did not live up to childhood memories, but I did discover this site:
https://www.spam.com/
lots of recipes there.

corned beef has fewer ingredients and is far less processed, but both SPAM and tinned corned beef fit keto macros.
My morher wasnt great at dinners, more a baker, but one of our favourite dinners she did was layers of very thin potatoes, very thin slices onion and sliced (tinned) corned beef lasagne style then a hydrated Beef Oxo cube poured over and baked in the oven. Thanks for reviving the memory. I wonder if it would work with celeriac!

Reactions: Brunneria

Hotpepper20000

My morher wasnt great at dinners, more a baker, but one of our favourite dinners she did was layers of very thin potatoes, very thin slices onion and sliced (tinned) corned beef lasagne style then a hydrated Beef Oxo cube poured over and baked in the oven. Thanks for reviving the memory. I wonder if it would work with celeriac!
Or cauliflower. Thanks for the idea

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Hmmm sounds good I like to make a corned beef mash potato and onion pie .

Reactions: Serena51
D

Deleted member 308541

This is allegedly the list of contents: Pork (91%), Ham (2%), Water, Salt, Starch, Sugar, Stabiliser: Trisodium Diphosphate, Potassium Chloride, Flavourings, Antioxidant: Sodium Ascorbate, Preservative: Sodium Nitrite
One would ideally just eat pork/ham but if self isolating and relying on non perishable foods I'm sure there are worse things out there. Probably no help at all but I tried. Best wishes with deciding what to do for the best.
I think the pork content will consist of pigs ears, lips, cheeks and rectums.

Camp pie is a good runner up to Spam...

847aa1debdf5478827f87fe1a727f1f8.jpg

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I think the pork content will consist of pigs ears, lips, cheeks and rectums.

Camp pie is a good runner up to Spam...

847aa1debdf5478827f87fe1a727f1f8.jpg
If your a carnivore like me shouldn’t matter what part it is , ears lips cheeks and rectums sounds like the good old sausage to me mmmm mmmm

Reactions: Member496333

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I like spam my mother used to fry it and we would have it with a fried egg and baked beans plus chips.

Reactions: bigjim19