Spam Watch

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm going to spend a few hours deleting later on, thanks so much for your help and time. Admin

2008 is great

Jeneha

just being nosey(again!):oops:How does anyone let you know about the possible spam? You seem to get loads and people post the details. How? There seem to be several "celebrity videos" on the soapbox site (I think it's that one - when I went to check I lost the message I was writing!:()

Jeneha

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
If you check out Linda Kay's website links you will find that she is a distributor for the "Limu" health food supplement advertised in her posts. Real name Linda Kay Sawyer and she appears to be using the forum to promote her product.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I'll let Linda's stand for the moment,she does admit upfront that she is a distributor and the story could be true about her husband.If she gets too persistent I will rethink!After all we have others promoting 'food' products.
The other one is Danish.Let's see if she posts anything pertinent to diabetes!

Knowledge is the key to control

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
I suppose there is a question here as to where does the line get drawn. If someone posts a link in Food Forum or Product Reviews to their own product because they genuinely believe it may be of benefit to diabetics, should it be allowed or do we just have a blanket ban on all advertising. In the past we have let Dreamfields and Square One posts stand because, although they were undisguised ads for their own businesses, they were products that could be of interest or benefit to diabetics. What happens if you or I come across a product that we think could be of interest? Is it advertising if we name it?

Tricky one!!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dennis</i>
<br />This one is just blatant advertising

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?t=1802

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

He's gone!Although in Russian the young ladies on his site looked far too healthy to be diabetic!:evil::evil:

Knowledge is the key to control

Lady J

My tuppence worth although I don't even know if I'm allowed to post on this part of the site.

I think that the amount of advertising that seems to slip through the net on this forum is appalling. I think the slack rules (or one rule for one person, another for another person) does you no favours and makes the whole site look as if someone's just trying to sell me something.

People come on here for support and advice and these people with their blatant selling are just out for one thing: money! without a thought for newly diagnosed diabetics who don't know whether they're coming or going and are NOT in a position to tell whether they're being spammed or advised.

Please please please do yourselves a favour and clamp down on this. I have to admit, I've come back to this site very recently, because on my first few visits after diagnosis was compeltely put off by the amount of spamming (I know you can't help that they come, just that they stay). Now that I know better I felt it was 'safe' to return, because at least I can tell what's nonsense and what's not.

If the participants in the forum wish to recommend something to each other, then fine. But people selling stuff should just not be allowed.

LJ