Spare Meters?

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How many of you guys have a spare meter as a backup? Do you get the strips for the spare on prescription? When I was diagnosed I left the hospital with a freestyle optium neo, 2 months later the DSN gave me the Aviva Expert, I still get the ketone strips but it seems they have removed the bg strips from my prescription, it's not like I'd be ordering them all the time, just have a box in the house 'just in case' and if unused reorder a box when they were nearing the expiry date, advice welcome :) xx

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @kaylz91 . I currently have 4 meters. 3 Optium xceed and 1 Optium neo. They all use the same strips. Meters are easy to come by, find the one you prefer, get your strips on prescription, contact meter supplier and explain you love there meters and need a new one. You can be a bit deceitful and tell them that you've mislaid your current meter and would like a replacement. You can ask your DSN for a new meter ( I was amazed when a DSN took me into her stock room:). It was full of all kinds of kit) . My new neo was obtained purely by an online application ( if anyone asks, you test 7+ times a day ).

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @kaylz91 . I currently have 4 meters. 3 Optium xceed and 1 Optium neo. They all use the same strips. Meters are easy to come by, find the one you prefer, get your strips on prescription, contact meter supplier and explain you love there meters and need a new one. You can be a bit deceitful and tell them that you've mislaid your current meter and would like a replacement. You can ask your DSN for a new meter ( I was amazed when a DSN took me into her stock room:). It was full of all kinds of kit) . My new neo was obtained purely by an online application ( if anyone asks, you test 7+ times a day ).
I like the aviva expert but as it doesn't check ketones that's why I need the neo but don't see why they wont leave the bg strips for it on my prescription too :( xx

D

Deleted member 308541

How many of you guys have a spare meter as a backup? Do you get the strips for the spare on prescription?
I have got three, two Performas and a Freedom Lite.

The red Performa was the older one that was out dates, and I got an upgraded one. I use the Freedom Lite as my day to day meter.

I get subsidised strips for them all through the NDSS for $1.30 per 100 strip box.

AVtdlOy.jpg

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kaylz91 . I can only surmise that there maybe issues with prescribing 2.different supplies of test strips.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kaylz91 . I can only surmise that there maybe issues with prescribing 2.different supplies of test strips.
When I had my Libre trial though my DSN said that they should still be available to me

I've got a nurse appointment on the 18th for an injection so I'll ask her and see what her thoughts are, she cant prescribe them but she may suggest a phone appointment with a Dr or something, who knows lol xx

D

Deleted Account

Be aware test strips have a use by date.
This is why my spare uses the same stripsmas my main meter.
My last spare used different strips and the only time I needed it, I realised the strips were no use.

Reactions: Dodo
D

Deleted member 308541

I have no problems getting two different brands Accu-Chek or Abbot for mine when I order my scripts, just add one or the other brand to the list.

Reactions: kaylz91

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Be aware test strips have a use by date.
This is why my spare uses the same stripsmas my main meter.
My last spare used different strips and the only time I needed it, I realised the strips were no use.
Yes I am aware of this, that's why my original post states that I wouldn't be ordering them all the time, if unused I'd only put an order in when they were nearing the expiry, as I do with the ketone strips as they never seem to be well dated, I didn't get to pick or choose meters so this situation was out of my hands xx

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kaylz91 . The bigger and better the argument for you needing 2 different test strips the better. If you can prove that you will have better control , with fewer complications, going forward it may just swing it for you.
Good luck.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
It’s an interesting question as before my current meter I always had a spare so with my current contour next I called the supplier up to get a spare and they said they wouldn’t give me a spare as they would replace my current one if faulty, not very reassuring though..

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no problems getting two different brands Accu-Chek or Abbot for mine when I order my scripts, just add one or the other brand to the list.
That's fine but you are not using the NHS system. I suspect NDSS criteria may be different.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s an interesting question as before my current meter I always had a spare so with my current contour next I called the supplier up to get a spare and they said they wouldn’t give me a spare as they would replace my current one if faulty, not very reassuring though..
Times may have changed, but a few years back I explained to a lovely call girl at Abbots ( that sounds so wrong ) that I only had one meter and feared a broken meter would leave me up a creek without a paddle at least for a few days if not longer. I duly received 2 ( yes 2 ) new meters the following week.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Are you ok to call Bayer on my behalf @therower ?!

Reactions: Dodo

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you ok to call Bayer on my behalf @therower ?!
Hey you're a big girl now. Tell them " no meter , no test strips, no profit and can I have the contact details for your superiors "
If that fails I would seriously change meters.
I'm happy to call Bayer on your behalf. Do you want nice me or not nice me:):)

Reactions: Dodo and kev-w

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
With my last order of (prescribed) test strips I was told that my strips and meter weren't produced anymore, so they would send me another meter with test strips. I told them I would need an extra meter in case it broke or I would lose it, and they said, off course!. So I got two new meters.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hey you're a big girl now. Tell them " no meter , no test strips, no profit and can I have the contact details for your superiors "
If that fails I would seriously change meters.
I'm happy to call Bayer on your behalf. Do you want nice me or not nice me:):)

I think this also warrants a winner medal too, I was considering calling on a different day hoping I'd get a more considerate customer service person :)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have a spare given to me by the hospital when I did DAFNE. It uses the same strips. Neither test ketones I just use the urine dippers if ill. I also purchased some strips myself for the Libre reader which I use if I think the sensor is way out. What I found fascinating was that the couple of times I tested all three metres together, the difference in results was staggering. People rely on the accuracy of their metres. It’s made me more wary.