Specific gene links statins to muscle pain

DCUK NewsBot

Carrying a specific gene could explain why some people who take statins might suffer from muscle aches, researchers have discovered. The cholesterol-lowering drugs are often prescribed to people with diabetes to reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke, but they have been associated with side effects including muscle aches and an increased risk of depression. Scientists at the University of Dundee have now shown that statins can negatively affect a specific genetic sub-group which heightens the risk of these side effects. The findings of the study were gathered using data from 175,000 people in Scotland who signed up to the Scottish Health Research Register (SHARE). Lead researcher Professor Colin Palmer said: "We found that there are people in the general population who carry a genetic factor that predisposes them to muscle aches. "If these people are put on statins, they might discontinue their medication in the erroneous belief that it is the statin that is making their muscles ache. At the same time, we observed that there is a genetic sub-group of patients who are susceptible to statin-specific muscle aches." It is unclear how many, if any of the cohort involved in this research had diabetes, but the findings could be of significance for people with diabetes, particularly if doctors are able to screen patients before prescribing statins to see if they are carrying this genetic sub-group, known as LILRB5. It is thought up to 29 per cent of people stop taking statins because of muscle discomfort, but this screening could lead to alternative treatments being considered. "This means that it would be possible to test prospective statin users for key genetic variants, including LILRB5, to prevent people being put on statins if they are likely to have an adverse reaction to them," added Palmer. "This is the first time a genetic variant thought to be involved in the repair and regeneration of muscles has been found to be associated with this side effect." The study has been published in the European Heart Journal.

Continue reading...

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
LILRB5. I must remember that next time I see my dn as she pointedly told me that statins do not cause muscle pain and that any pain I may experience must be psychsomatic. Bit cheeky, that.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
LILRB5. I must remember that next time I see my dn as she pointedly told me that statins do not cause muscle pain and that any pain I may experience must be psychsomatic. Bit cheeky, that.
Keep in mind that Doctor's don't have a monopoly on intelligence :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It would help if they all sang from the same song sheet.

Locum GP "Some people experience muscle pain while on a statin".
DN "Statins do not cause pain".
New GP "Some of the older statins may cause pain but the newer statins do not".

And they wonder why people turn t'web for clarification.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Had all the docs when they wanted me on statins telling me they dont cause muscle aches... this was
in 3 different practices from busy large practice to small rural practice in Wales.

Tried every type, all the same effects and with depression too.

No doctor ever reported to MHRA, I had to do it.
Nowadays if I have reactions to drugs I report to MHRA (gov website now) and ask them to inform GP. Then it has to be put on my records and it is used for statistics...

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This sort of DNA testing is very likely to be common in a few years time to check if it is safe to give someone a given drug, but it is too costly a test to use for everyone at present.

CEDI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
With this newly found information on the drug I am definitely going to ask my doc. the question about my back pain and the drug.