Spent yesterday morning in a drop in centre

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
Not sure what was wrong with my last batch of novorapid, but it stopped working when I changed the cartridge. I'm staying with my mum and my doctor wouldn't send a prescription to the pharmacy and hers wouldn't sign me on as a temporary patient.

So yesterday morning I went to a drop in centre.

Drop in centre was lovely. Trusted me and my opinion. And gave me a prescription. Now my insulin is working as I'd expect it to. It's so refreshing to hear a nurse say 'I trust you with your diabetes. You know more than me' and just give me what I say I need.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 11 people

QuirkyBit86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad you got it sorted. Did the heat of the last few days get to the insulin? I keep my insulin pen in my jeans pocket quite regular when I'm out, but once found that after a hot day out it stopped working. Once I changed the cartridge it was fine.

I think most medical professionals realise that Diabetes is quite involved and if your levels are generally good they trust you. Its nice to hear them say it once in a while though

Reactions: 2 people

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
I think that the insulin might have gotten hot on the way down. It only stopped working when I changed my cartridge, and those cartridges were in my rucksack coming down in the hot car. (Black rucksack on back seat)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I think that the insulin might have gotten hot on the way down. It only stopped working when I changed my cartridge, and those cartridges were in my rucksack coming down in the hot car. (Black rucksack on back seat)

Keep your pen and insulin cartridges cool using a Frio Wallet, they are expensive to buy but last for years.

Pleased you got sorted in the end.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Funny enough I have a cool box that plugs into the rear lighter socket for power....
I also have rear air conditioning in my wagon...

I was toying with the idea of running some ducting from the rear AC unit to a box big enough to hold my insulin thus keeping it cool..?

Sorry, I'm in Jap inport forum mode... ;)