Spike before dinner?

EliseC65_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i was diagnosed at end of November. I’ve posted on here about it. I had hba1c of 79.
I’ve gone Lchf and managed to lose 5 kg and according to mySugr and DiaConnect apps, I’ve managed to get it down to 58 and still going. I’m going for another official blood test next month so hopefully can get it right down into the 40’s by then. I also walk at least 2 miles a day in my lunch break and more at weekends now.

Anyway, I’ve been doing readings regularly every day, but I can only do one before lunch at work, then it’s usually around 5.5 when I get home at 6.
Then I measure before dinner about an hour or so later and it’s shot up. I usually just have a cup of tea with a splash of whole milk. I’ve given up sweetener.
For example yesterday;
7am 9
12.35pm 6.8 then lunch
6pm 5.8
19.50 pre dinner 8.2
22.00. 7.2

These readings are a lot lower than when I started, think 14, and 13s and it’s getting better every day. I’m keeping carbs below 30 a day and calories vary between 800 to 1200 depending on whether I do a 16:8 fast day.

Just wondering why I spike just before dinner at night. Seems weird.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You may be having a liver dump before your evening meal. Are you testing after meals, too?

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey Elise, good job on getting your numbers down from the 13/14s!! I would wonder if perhaps you are having a liver dump then as it can occur any time of the day, not just the predawn dump many people experience. Just keep an eye on it and see if it changes once your body has depleted its liver stores glucose.....Blessings/L

Guzzler beat me to it by a few seconds!! Glad we are thinking the same:)

EliseC65_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You may be having a liver dump before your evening meal. Are you testing after meals, too?
I test after meals at weekends and in the evening. It usually goes up by a point, or sometimes drops.

EliseC65_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My early morning reads are getting much lower as well. I’m getting there slowly :)

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It takes a while to get the numbers down, if you thin about average readings over a whole day, ti could be as much as a month per point - so as long as its going in the right direction I wouldn't worry too much, just stick with the diet.