spike - Type 2 on insulin

myrio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
VEGETABLES
when i got up this morning my bs was 11.4 2 hours later after 2 weetabix and 10 units of insulin it had gone 17.6 . i just dont understand why any help would be welcome

kevin hogg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No idea mine was 7.2 went for a walk came back 8.3 both high for me usually low 6s

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
when i got up this morning my bs was 11.4 2 hours later after 2 weetabix and 10 units of insulin it had gone 17.6 . i just dont understand why any help would be welcome

Did you do a correction dose for the 11.4? If you didn't and started from a higher number, that could have caused the spike.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Carb counting and correction doses are essential for good diabetes management.

Also, if you eat meals close together - you'll more than likely end up with higher spikes.

Your pre-prandial BG should ideally be in your chosen range before starting a meal. If I had a BG of 11.4mmol/L, I'd correct it and put off eating until it had come down to somewhere between 4-7mmol/L.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When bs is that high and you need/ want to eat you might opt to chose something lower carb than weetabix , like an egg, a few nuts or some avocado. Something that should have little impact on raising your bs even further. Carbs foods will only add to the increase even with corrections.