Spikes

SophieOrman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

I'm so confused! My 2 now 3year old daughter was diagnosed in June and one of the first things we were told is she can still eat anything just as long as she has the insulin with it. We were also told for diner she has to have long lasting carbs such as pasta, potato etc to stop her going hypo at night. So iv been doing this, we've recently been given the pump which is a god send but I am finding before diner she is usually in range maybe a littler higher 8-10. We give her diner with the correct amount of insulin (carb counting). I check her again before bed and she is in range. Then I check her when I go up to bed and she's spiking anywhere from 14-19 and I know it's because of the long lasting carbs. She says she feels sick so I obviously giver her a correctional her being that high! Check her 2 hours after the correctional to see that her sugars are coming down nicely. Now fast forward to when she gets up she hypo because I gave her that correctional. I don't understand what I am doing wrong? Surely with number that high at night needs that correctional? Iv looked at low carb diets but I thought that was more for type 2? I was told her diet wouldn't have to vary much if at all in fact. It happens every night, its really affecting her sleep and i feel so sorry for her because clearly I am doing something wrong but i don't know what. Were due to see her diabetes team on the 2nd but until then if anyone could help please.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If she's in range postprandial but high before you go to bed then it looks like it a could be a basal issue (unless the meal had a high-fat content), maybe ring her PDSN first and mention this to them and see if they think her basal rates need adjusted.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is she eating for tea? Some meals that are high carb & high fat (like pizza or lasagne) can cause a delayed spike. You can look into doing an extended bolus to deal with that.

Or if you don't think it's the type of meals you are having causing pizza effect, then maybe evening basal rates need looking at.

Are you adding a correction with the tea time bolus if she's 8-10 before tea?

Do you know what your correction dose should be? How many mmolL 1u brings you down? Sounds like you might be giving too high a correction dose.

SophieOrman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
What is she eating for tea? Some meals that are high carb & high fat (like pizza or lasagne) can cause a delayed spike. You can look into doing an extended bolus to deal with that.

Or if you don't think it's the type of meals you are having causing pizza effect, then maybe evening basal rates need looking at.

Are you adding a correction with the tea time bolus if she's 8-10 before tea?

Do you know what your correction dose should be? How many mmolL 1u brings you down? Sounds like you might be giving too high a correction dose.

She usually had the same as us like gammon with potatoes and a yogurt for pudding or sugar free jelly. I know pizza is bad she wont actually eat that because it makes her feel so rubbish! I believe its 10mmolL to 1u and yes with the pump it will give a correction for the 8- 10 with the extra insulin for her meal. Thank you for the reply!

SophieOrman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
If she's in range postprandial but high before you go to bed then it looks like it a could be a basal issue (unless the meal had a high-fat content), maybe ring her PDSN first and mention this to them and see if they think her basal rates need adjusted.

Yeah she is fine before bed its whilst she sleeps between say 12am to 3am I am giving a correctional because she is so high. Perfect thank you I will give them a call and see if a basal adjustment will help! Thank you

Reactions: azure

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yeah she is fine before bed its whilst she sleeps between say 12am to 3am I am giving a correctional because she is so high. Perfect thank you I will give them a call and see if a basal adjustment will help! Thank you

It's likely nothing to do with the food she eats if this is happening every night, most of us pump users find we need different basal rates for different times of the day.

Good luck anyway and please keep the thread updated on your progress.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The basic guide is... if 2-3 hours after a bolus levels are out of sync then it will be the bolus. At any other time it will be the basal.
Certainly on a pump my basal needs plummeted from 11pm to about 2am and then geadually increased till 4am when they then increased huge, hugely....

Speak to dsn asap.

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Sophie, speak with the relevant professionals but also recommend a book called Think like a pancreas! Wonderful book with lots of useful information for you x

Reactions: catapillar