Type 1 Spikes

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Depends entirely what I've eaten, what I was before, what time of day it is (I spike more in the morning) and various other factors.
This morning it got upto about 12-13ish after breakfast but I knew I was going to be doing exercise at which point often my blood sugar plummets so its best to start higher for that

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Depends what I eat, what my BG was when I ate and how long before eating I pre-bolused.
I try to keep my levels below 10mmol/l but am not concerned if they spike above this and fall back down quickly.
I am also aware that CGMs will exaggerate spikes in double figures. If my CGM say 12mmol/l, for example, I usually double ch3vknwith a finger prick and find it is not so high.

Why do you ask?
Are you experiencing spikes that concern you?
if so, how high and how long is the spike?
If your levels return to normal it is likely that you bolus dose is correct but you are not pre-bolusing early enough (your carbs are digested before your insulin starts working) . If your levels stay too high, it is likely your dose is too low.

Reactions: Nadia19

Nadia19

I seem to be spiking a lot, because my pre meal level isn’t the best. Do you think this could cause big spikes if sugar is already high?

Nadia19

Depends what I eat, what my BG was when I ate and how long before eating I pre-bolused.
I try to keep my levels below 10mmol/l but am not concerned if they spike above this and fall back down quickly.
I am also aware that CGMs will exaggerate spikes in double figures. If my CGM say 12mmol/l, for example, I usually double ch3vknwith a finger prick and find it is not so high.

Why do you ask?
Are you experiencing spikes that concern you?
if so, how high and how long is the spike?
If your levels return to normal it is likely that you bolus dose is correct but you are not pre-bolusing early enough (your carbs are digested before your insulin starts working) . If your levels stay too high, it is likely your dose is too low.

Please check my recent post I put on this morning about spikes x

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I seem to be spiking a lot, because my pre meal level isn’t the best. Do you think this could cause big spikes if sugar is already high?
Yes. If our BG is high, we experience insulin resistance. This can mean we need more insulin and the insulin takes longer to work. As a result, food can be digested before the insulin starts working causing a spike.