Spiralized courgette as pasta swap

Ceppo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone. One week into LCHF I am starting to experiment. Got an attachment for my food processor and have just spiralized a couple of courgettes which leaves me with questions so would appreciate your advice.
  1. What is a suitable portion in courgette before spiralizing?
  2. Best ways to cook it
  3. Any tips of flavourings etc
  4. Which other low carb veg do people enjoy?
  5. Is it ever possible to use carrots this way or mix some in?
Trying very hard to make a success of this way of eating and have lots of weight to lose. Thanks all.

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone. One week into LCHF I am starting to experiment. Got an attachment for my food processor and have just spiralized a couple of courgettes which leaves me with questions so would appreciate your advice.
  2. Best ways to cook it
  4. Which other low cal veg do people enjoy?
Trying very hard to make a success of this way of eating and have lots of weight to lose. Thanks all.
1. Courgettes are very low carb so I just have a plateful, maybe 1 medium or 2 smaller ones.
2./3. I fry them in a little oil like a stir fry for 3 to 4 mins with some chilli flakes.
4. I assume you mean low carb. Cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, anything green. I also eat carrots, peas, beans, lentils, swede, celeriac, lots of other veg but you would need to test them.
5. I expect carrots would take longer to cook than courgette so I wouldn't mix them.

Reactions: Ceppo

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm not a fan of cauliflower rice but courgetti spaghetti is excellent. I use it wherever I'd use traditional spaghetti, but cook as @Mr_Pot described above.
Unfortunately we've almost run out of frozen courgettes from our autumn glut (next year will be sure to freeze more) but courgettes are truly a versatile and delicious low carb vegetable. (eg use slices from large ones instead of bread for beefburgers.)

I'm feeling hungry now:)

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and Ceppo

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use finely sliced cabbage lightly fried in butter with salt and pepper as a sub for pasta and even rice. It’s so quick.

I don’t have an easy spiralizer so don’t do courgetti often. When I do I literally just heat it up or else it goes too soggy for me. Salt pepper garlic herbs chilli spices butter olive oil all get used for flavour.
Unlike mr pot I can’t manage much in the way of peas carrots or sweet corn, nor lentils or pulses so recommend you check these against a meter to see where your tolerance lies.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
  2. Best ways to cook it
  4. Which other low carb veg do people enjoy?
As well as using courgetti for pasta sauce and in a stir fry I sometimes thinly slice the courgettes and layer with bolognese sauce to make a lasagne - OH has mashed potato on top of his!! I

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use spiralised courgette quite a lot but very rarely cook it as it tends to release too much water and spoils any sauce you are using etc. I just eat it raw (only when it’s spiralised) and let the sauce or whatever I’m having with it heat it up.

Ceppo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. Lots of ideas here

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love courgetti carbonara. Crisp up some chopped bacon in a bit of butter, add crushed garlic, courgetti and soften for a minute or two. Add lots of coarse ground black pepper, a splash of cream (and/or an egg) and lots of grated cheese (Parmesan, but cheddar is fine too; if you have used cream then blue cheese is amazing too).

I don't have a spiraliser so I make my courgetti with a julienne peeler. That way I don't use the seedy core of the courgette and the result is never soggy.

Ceppo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You know I thought I'd never eat that again until reading your post. Thanks very much @Larissima

Last edited:
Reactions: Larissima

EggsEggsEggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spinach
Depends on the size. A Riverford courgette is usually bigger than one from Sainsbury's. One or two. Peeled or not, fried in butter and lemon or lime juice, with freshly grated Parmesan ab=nd black pepper.

Reactions: Ceppo