split dose insulutard

loopyloo

Hi there,

I am currently trying to get on top of my high bg levels that occur during the evening after my meal, If I increase my bolus (humulin s)dose to compensate my bg's crash before bed so I am currently splitting my basal (insulutard) dose to every 12hours, which seems to be helping a bit although I still have the tendency to go a bit high in the eve.

Was wondering if anyone was doing the same thing, I have my year review with the consultant and want to go armed with lots of info, Wondered if maybe a change to lantus would be more helpful,(have read it gives constant 24hr coverage),is this true? Feeling a bit confused at the mo! Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Lindsey

erroneous

Splitting the dose may be the right solution for you. How long do you test after your evening meal? If you test 2 hours later your quick acting insulin may still be working (it lasts for 2 to 5 hours) so correcting at that time may not be right solution (that could lead you to hypo after that).
I'm on Lantus. It does not necessarily lasts for 24 hours. Unfortunately it's different for everybody. So we can't be sure how long it lasts. It takes 2 hours for the slow acting insulins to start working. You may just be low on insulatard at night that's why splitting may be the right thing to do. Another **** injection i'm afraid ;)
Take care.

loopyloo

Hi there, thanks for the reply,
Have been reading other forums for info on lantus and it seems to be a recurring theme that it doesn't always last 24hrs, and many people split their dose, so think I'll stick with the devil I know!

Have just started to learn bout carb counting, (why isn't this taught as a matter of course?) and have been splitting my insulatard for a couple of weeks now, things are much better, not falling asleep on the sofa after my evening meal now! Had my hbAIc done today so looking forward to finding out the results!

Don't mind more injections, but all the testing to see if I'm carb counting correctly is starting to drive me nuts.

How often do other people test?