Split lantus

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi, I’m on a split lantus regime and not really sure if the timings of it are that important. When I’m at work (3/4 times a week) my lantus is taken at just after 5am and around 9/10pm is the evening dose. Days I don’t work I take my lantus when I get up could be anything from 8/11 am. Does it really make much of a difference?

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Probably the first question I would ask is how are you blood sugar readings , if they are within range then this is working for you, I too am on split doses , but of Levimir but I tend to keep mine 12 hours apart , I’ve found that I can leave it an
hour or two longer but not really more than that, I was on Lanctus for quite a few years but with myself it was found to be a tad unpredictable resulting in varying results and hypos ,

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
From personal experience (started splitting it about a year ago) it's pretty forgiving about time changes (my times vary by up to a couple of hours) but I think 6 hours might be pushing it? I guess the only way to tell is by testing on your own body, though....

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I was on Lanctus for quite a few years but with myself it was found to be a tad unpredictable resulting in varying results and hypos ,

I find that too, but splitting the dose has significantly improved things for me....

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I find that too, but splitting the dose has significantly improved things for me....
I find that too things are far more consistent since I’ve gone onto split doses of Levimir

Reactions: EllieM